Need help finding donor center for observation for SBB exam

momedtech

Hello everyone!

I am in the beginning stages of preparing my application to sit for the SBB exam via Route 2. I realize that it would be much better for me to complete an SBB program but I do not have the resources to do so--mainly, I no longer work in a laboratory and therefore do not have access to a preceptor.

Anyway, I need experience in a donor center specifically, the collection of donor blood.

Can anyone recommend a donor center in the Tristate Area (Phila, NJ, or DE) that is willing to allow me to observe? I am hesitant to contact the American Red Cross in my area since I know of other people who have asked ARC to observe blood donations and they were denied.

Also, does anyone have a good contact at the ASCP for questions about the SBB application process? I am asking because I did contact the ASCP today with specific questions and the person with whom I spoke made me feel like an idiot. I do not wish to contact her ever again!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Hello everyone!

I am in the beginning stages of preparing my application to sit for the SBB exam via Route 2. I realize that it would be much better for me to complete an SBB program but I do not have the resources to do so--mainly, I no longer work in a laboratory and therefore do not have access to a preceptor.

Good luck to you, this is the route I took also.

I am hesitant to contact the American Red Cross in my area since I know of other people who have asked ARC to observe blood donations and they were denied.

I would not let this stop you. Do you have any contacts in an ARC, or know someone who does? They allowed me to go to their viral testing facility for two full days, and I even sat through their comprehensive training program. I was quite impressed by how willing they were to teach.

Also, does anyone have a good contact at the ASCP for questions about the SBB application process? I am asking because I did contact the ASCP today with specific questions and the person with whom I spoke made me feel like an idiot. I do not wish to contact her ever again!

Ahh, who cares what they said. The only foolish question is the one you didn't ask. Call again, and don't hang up until you get what you need.

Thank you for the replies!

Cliff, I have a couple of questions for you:

1. Any advice on how to study for the exam--i.e. good books to buy, study materials you can recommend? Are you familiar with "Passing the SBB the 1st Time"--the company, Volaris, offers a book and flashcards?

2. How much time did you spend observing blood donations?

3. How did you document this on the reference form that the ASCP requires--specifically, how was the section about employment beginning and end dates completed?

Thanks again for your help!

Thank you for the replies!

Cliff, I have a couple of questions for you:

1. Any advice on how to study for the exam--i.e. good books to buy, study materials you can recommend? Are you familiar with "Passing the SBB the 1st Time"--the company, Volaris, offers a book and flashcards?

2. How much time did you spend observing blood donations?

3. How did you document this on the reference form that the ASCP requires--specifically, how was the section about employment beginning and end dates completed?

Thanks again for your help!

Let me preface this with saying I am a bad example of someone to ask these types of questions. I have my own learning style. :P

1. How to study? That's a tough one. It depends on what you already know and are strong in. I read the AABB Technical Manual (twice), memorized Standards, read all of the relevant FDA CFR's, looked at most of Issitt, read each Transfusion cover to cover (for a year prior to the exam), as well as other activities.

I have not heard of that book, but it can't hurt.

2. I worked in a hospital based transfusion service / donor center. I had worked in the donor center for over a year prior to the exam.

3. Sorry, can't recall that far back - it was 10 years ago.

This is a very hard exam. Expect the unexpected. When I took it, it was 100 computer questions - I believe it still is. There were sections that would reportedly have only 1 question on the test, so my study time toward that area was minimal.

You are right Cliff, "Expect the unexpected" I like this!.:D If someone ask me How was SBB, I will quote you. I took mine last year. I had several questions which I do not know answer till today.

I looked at Volaris....Old one I didn't like it. there are so many outdated question and I got more nervous so I quit after several chapters. You can read it but do not rely on it completely.

Lots of day to day experience will help. I have a habit of reading (internet or books) on current cases I encounter at my work which gave me lots of information. Tech manual & standard are good source. If you can get hold on review given @ AABB meeting ...it is going to be a good help.

DO not take it easy...it is a very tough exam but do not get discourage. I went in to get just the experience on how the exam was so when I passed it first time I couldn't believe it.

I studied on my own and took the exam 10 years ago. I remember people saying it would surely have a lot of regulatory stuff on it, but I studied according to the content guideline (available on the ASCP website if you dig hard enough) and the test definitely followed it--lots of BB serology at that time. In those days you didn't know if you passed when you left the test and I was totally sure I had failed. The test questions change depending on how you answer the early ones so I am sure the test always seems difficult. I still believe my passing score was divine intervention.

I was fortunate enought to take the exam when it was both written and practical (I challenged the test/not SBB school). Then, the written was BB trivial pursuit. Know ag frequencies so you can calculate the % of compatible units based on these (and don't forget ABO compatible too, sometimes the questions are worded tricky and will include ABO, but sometimes they won't). On my test, we were the first to have patient management questions, as they were phasing out the practical - I found them obscure and very subjective. Donor stuff had to do with both testing/understanding cutoff # and how it was generated, donor reactions and donor suitability. Do you need to observe donors being drawn? I don't think so. Needed to know how to calculate cryo dosage/ffp factor dosage. Also understand red cell dynamics. The test was not easy. I used Mollison, Pittiglia (Harmening), the Technical Manual, and copious flash cards. As one of my techs asked me once "should she take the test". I told her go for it. As long as you can afford to lose the money, even if you do not pass, think of all the BB knowledge you will gain and be able to use. GO FOR IT!

I am currently an SBB student in a distance program. Study books I have, which may help, are Transfusion Medicine, Self Assessment and Review from AABB, and Passing the 1st Time from Volaris. I have the 2nd edition of this book, which contains lots of typos, but there is a 3rd edition now available. Also, Gulf Coast in Houston is offering a Last Chance Review in Feb 2008. You can google it, or go on their web site giveblood.org.

Barbara

I took my exam about 10 years ago, also. I agree with the others - it is tough for those of us who don't go through a formal program but you can pass it! I would definitely recommend the Gult Coast last chance review if you can swing it or something like it. I was lucky enough to be at the right place, at the right time, to do a one-off review course offered by UNMC with 80 hours instruction and they got materials from the SBB program in Galveston/Houston. Extremely helpful stuff. I studied every day for a year and I walked out of the test site with no idea if I had passed or failed - I think I was in shock, actually!

In addition to Issitt, the Tech Manual, and CFR, I would recommend Mollison, Human Blood Groups by Geoff Daniels and The Blood Group Antigen Facts Book by Reid and Lomas-Francis. Although Harmening is intended for MLT/MT students, I did find it quite useful as a good broad review of everything. I also had a current anesthesia text, which had some useful tidbits. Immune Hemolytic Anemias by Petz and Garratty is another good source.

I would try approaching the Red Cross. Our ARC regional center was a partner in the UNMC review. They provided a time slot of 2 days for most of us in the review program to spend time in their donor room, the apheresis center, their QC department, component lab and reference lab. My exam had lots of donor related questions on apheresis - my time with the ARC is what got me through that part.

My exam also had lots of donor testing questions (HIV, Hep), itty bitty obscure detail questions about red cell antigens/antibodies and technical questions about methodologies like monocyte monolayer testing, use of DTT etc. Which reminds me of another great book - Methods in Immunohematology by John Judd - this is a cookbook of every procedure you could ever want to do.

Good luck!

Just took and passed the board and it was a very tough test. I went thru the distance program from GCRBC and that helped. I have the passing the SBB the first time book edition 3 and it still has typos but it can be useful.

I read the technical manual, harmening textbook, standards, FDA/CAP/AABB guidelines. I highly recommend the Last Chance Review it is excellent and has a nice consise format.