Lab Week

donellda

Unfortunately we have one person who appoints himself head of lab week. All he does is get vendors to do lunches each day of the week and the lab manager gives out 5$ gift cards to each of us, I have said it would be better to have a drawing for a couple of 50$ ones, but that falls on deaf ears. We are all kind of humbug about the whole thing this year as it always falls just before nurses week, which the hospital celebrates on a large scale. It if was me, I would cancel it all together.

Glad others are having a good week.

Volunteer Week here as well. Also National Secretary's week I think. We are not a profession in the public eye and as such when people hear "lab" they picture a "black box" or Bunsen berners and test tubes in racks. We have taken lab week as an opportunity to celebrate our profession as well as a particular week to focus on educating others as to what we do as a profession. You would be amazed the opportunities that arise in everyday life (outside the lab as well as in) to focus the spotlight on what we do. We have found that no one is going to set up the parade for us, so we make our own parade. Nursing has the power of numbers on their side as well as visibility. OK I will get off of my soap box now :redface:

Our lab week has been really good so far! Plant exchange, cookie contest, wig day, crazy earring and socks day, fun facts day (guess the little known facts about each other), sub sandwiches provided by pathologists, lab word scramble and crossword. We also include the off shifts in the food and contests. One evening we are going to PF Chang's, at a time when the third shift can go also. Some of the other posters ideas are great. I'll have to keep them in mind for next year.

All he does is get vendors to do lunches each day of the week

I can't believe you found vendors to provide lunches. Our blood supplier brought us some candy and that was the only vendor who gave us anything. We get lunches a few days and the techs brought items for sundaes one day. Unfortunately, I was too busy in Blood Bank to participate - after I brought the ice cream. Last year, our hospital provided massages to the nurses during their week. Today, there was a huge banner regarding Volunteers week and they are having an off-site luncheon. Imagine, having lunch and not having to go issue blood or answer the phone while you are eating! I would appreciate that more than them providing lunch!

We had breakfast one day, lunch another (pizza), cakes another, cookies another, and (oh, OK, let's be healthy) fruit one day. We did get some vendors to give money for food if we let them have a demonstration table for people to look at so they could call it an education expense. We also had each lab section put together a gift basket and raffled them all off to raise money to pay for some of the fun. The pathologists always kick in some money, too. We had games like guess the number of candy pieces in the jar (winner takes all), guess who (unusual facts about various lab employees), wordoku (we let nursing participate in this. The word is usually something relevent to lab work), a lab related crossword, and a lab lotto. We also raffle off donated items like artwork by lab employees. The prizes are things donated by vendors, various gift cards, and anything I can get my hands on at AABB TXPO and bring back (Fenwal mugs, anyone?). We always include all of the shifts and all of our hospitals. They don't have to rely on leftovers (although I am sure they get some). It is a good week. We get a letter of thanks from administration and we put out tent cards in the cafeteria. It may not be as big as nurses week, but it isn't bad. This year we were surprised in blood bank by the nurses from our Ambulatory Infusion Unit. They made a red velvet cake and sent a handwritten card of thanks signed by all their nurses. That was very nice recognition!

:cool:

We have a couple of ladies who always do a great job with lab week. This year the theme was "mad scientists get results". Everyone had a silly picture name badge with a 'scientist' name.

We also have a desert contest every year. Theme based again... specimens. This year one of the top winners was the 'stool specimen' (there were tootsie rolls and some other things in it....)

My daughter's birthday falls during lab week, so DisneyWorld always wins out. One lab goes all out....games, contests, lots of food, but at the other place, well, they had a pot luck, and I donated little trinkets from the AABB TXPO as booby prizes. I'm sure they all had a good time...but I had more fun at Epcot.

My daughter's birthday falls during lab week, so DisneyWorld always wins out. One lab goes all out....games, contests, lots of food, but at the other place, well, they had a pot luck, and I donated little trinkets from the AABB TXPO as booby prizes. I'm sure they all had a good time...but I had more fun at Epcot.

And I am sure they were quite jealous! I hope your daughter had a great birthday!

:D