Cold auto antibodies

Go to solution Solved by sgoertzen,

Hi

I have a question about strong cold antibodies. Does anyone here, recommend blood warmer for transfusion on the floor, not OR? I understand in OR it is recommended because of the low temperature in OR setting, but a patient room is warmer. If you do not recommend, do you have any research on the topic, either for it or against it.

Thank You

I was involved in one very unusual case (Win N, Needs M, Rahman S, Gold P, Ward S.  An unusual case of an acute haemolytic transfusion reaction caused by auto-anti-I.  Immunohematology 2011; 27 (3): 101-103.  DOI:  10.21307/immunohematology-2019-182.  

This was caused by the unit being removed from the storage fridge and immediately transfused.  If I remember correctly, however, because of the reaction, blood was put through a blood warmer on the ward as a precaution after this.  I doubt very much though that it would be something that would be done on a regular basis.

If the antibody does not react at 37 or antiglobulin phase, we would not recommend a blood warmer.  Agree that in patients with cold agglutinin disease or hemolysis after exposure to cold, would use a warmer.  Remember that our techniques in the lab routinely detect antibodies of no clinical significance.  For one thing, we never centrifuge patients at 170g to enhance binding of red cells to antibody :).  So on balance, unless you have an antibody of known clinical significance historically (antibodies in the Rh, Kell, Duffy, Kidd, S, etc. systems) and it reacts at body temperature, it's probably not significant.  Cold antibodies of wide thermal range may be significant but usually not if they don't react at body temperature in vitro.

• Solution
On 5/30/2024 at 3:57 PM, Mabel Adams said:

If they are so strong that we must use the pre-warmed technique to resolve them, and/or the patient is significantly hemolyzing from CAD, we would recommend using a blood warmer.

This is also our policy. If the cold antibody is so strong (3+ to 4+) that we must use pre-warm tube testing in order to do the workup, we advise them to use a blood warmer regardless of the location where the transfusion is being given. 

14 minutes ago, Neil Blumberg said:

We do not use enzyme treated cells when trying to detect or work up cold agglutinins.  No reason to enhance their reactivity in vitro.  If they are not detectable by routine LISS at body temperature or antiglobulin methods they are not of clinical importance.

Could NOT agree more Neil.