Use of LipoClear on BBK blood samples

Dansket

We do use this stuff in Chemistry. Before I though about using it in Blood Bank, I'd contact the manufacturer to see what type of interference the product can cause and ask if they did any testing for blood bank specimens. My bet is that they have not done any kind of validation for blood bank and there is no clearance for that use. Which means....validation would be on you. I think it would take pretty extensive validation with as many antibody specificities as possible plus the backtypes for variant ABOs. I don't think I'd touch it. Admittedly, we don't see a whole lot of specimens that won't run on the Echo because of lipemia. Those few that do show up are tested in tube.

16 hours ago, tbostock said:

When we validated our Tango we put a sample on that looked like heavy cream.  It resulted beautifully.

We've also run some pretty creamy looking samples on the Echo w/o problems. I've had 2 samples that were too nasty for it in the last 7+ years. Very very lipemic.