Fawzia Ahmed

dear all

we are using Safe-T Vue 10 on all our PRBC, but we noticed that, when we releasef the blood to the ward inside appropiate porter, when it reach there the indicator will turned to red color.

we follow exactly the procedure from manufacturer but still we are getting red indicator during handellig these unit to the ward, i think because of the summer time and hot weather ?? maybe

May i know your experiance, what is the causes of this problem and how it can be solve?

by the way , we are keeping the porter inside the cold room in term to control the temperature especially in the summer time and of course we transport the PRBC with appropriate cooler numbers.

thanks

My experience with the SafTVue 10:

Make sure both the RBC unit and the indicator are COLD when applying indicator.  Work quickly.  Apply in the middle of the unit (the fat part).

Don't hold the RBC unit in your warm paw, especially the are where the indicator is.

Don't know what "inside appropriate porter" is.. We have had very good experience with SafTVue 10 on RBC units inside a validated cooler with cold refrigerant packs.. up to 8 hours.  If RBC is left at room temperature, the indicator will turn to red

within 10 to 15 minutes.

Bill

I agree with R1R2 and Bill. Why use them on every unit you send up to be transfused? With what you'd save in a month or two you could buy a thermometer to take the temp of any unit that does happen to get returned. We only use them on units that go into coolers to the OR or off-site. And they are very touchy.

If pressure is put in the center of the indicator when it is snapped together, the dye vial can break and cause the indicator to turn red without a temperature change. Be sure to only touch the edges of the indicator and press on the frame (green part) not in the center to activate.

Edited by adiescast

Also, if it is warming rapidly toward 10 degrees, the indicator may start to turn red before 10 degrees.  In my experience they do not indicate that 10 degrees was reached until they are solid red, not just speckled red.  I believe that the company information states that.  I agree with all of the special handling issues mentioned above.  There is also fine print in the instructions that limits the time they can be in the refrigerator being pre-conditioned (several months I think).  Be sure you are following those instructions.  I have had staff with really warm hands that just couldn't be allowed to put them on.  We have a policy to check them as they are leaving the lab to make sure they haven't already turned even though we know the temperature is ok.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all of you.

I agree with R1R2 and Bill. Why use them on every unit you send up to be transfused? With what you'd save in a month or two you could buy a thermometer to take the temp of any unit that does happen to get returned. We only use them on units that go into coolers to the OR or off-site. And they are very touchy.

actually we dont know which unit will be return so we use to put the indicator on all units in the stock especially we are the one who is responsible to diSpatch the Blood to the other Blood Bank in the country.

TY

You may want to try another product and compare the results.  Our blood temp product does not require special procedures or pre-conditioning and is somewhat less sensitive to handling.  If you are interested, please contact me.

Michelle

Thanks dear, please check your mail..

Might sound like a stupid question but where are the dots kept. I do know of one lab who had this issue and it was due to techs leaving the box out on the bench whilst labelling multiple units resulting in an issue. There are two ways round this - either only take enough dots out for the units being immediately dealt with, or place them on top of a cool pack whilst labelling the other units, rather than a warm bench.