File for patient cards

bbanker2

We are a completely manual blood bank and have a magnatag inventory board. When we go-live with a new computer system this fall I would like to do away with the inventory board. Does anyone know of a card file display that I could use to replace it so that we can still know at a glance what we have available for the patient without making out tags. I've worked at other facilities where they keep the blood product sheets paper clipped to the card and the card in a wall mounted display. I'm having no luck finding such a display. Our cards are 6" x 8.5". What I need is something like a time card holder with several slots but big enough for these cards. Anybody know where I can get one? Thanks!

You should be able to determine if patient has blood available by accessing the computer file and do away with the cards. You may need a s file to keep transfusionadministration record paperwork if you need to tag units ahead of time. We havecompletely removed all paper files due to some unfortunate clerical errors. Wecrossmatch on demand, but if we have to tag units a head of time the paperworkis kept with the unit in the fridge. We access the patient's computer file todetermine if patient has blood available.

Ah, you won't know yourself when you are computerised. With a good system, you will be able to see the stock fridge, freezer inventories etc. at a glance, and the full ready to Issue Inventory at another glance, with your patients listed and how many units, what type, expiry etc all available.

Embrace and enjoy the change.

Cheers

Eoin

You didnt say what type of system you are getting, but it should come with a backup database that automatically keeps record of stuff in case the primary system has a catastrophic failure--so no worries there.

Like others have said, you will find it easier to displays lists of lots of this stuff on the computer than to try to maintain some sort of redundant bulletin-board system for what you want to review on a regular basis.

Before this thing goes live you will be having a great deal of training for users. You should also be able to talk to current users by asking your vendor about them--for questions about how others are already using the system. i think you will find that many of the things you think you will need posted on paper will not be needed.

We do have a white-erase board in our BB for shift communication. Who is in intensive care, special units on hold for certian patients, units about to outdate, reminders like those.

Scott

To me the best idea would be to spend some manpower now to enter all patient historical infromation in computer. Obviously you need to validate the system. Then it will so easy. all computer system should be able to give you info on what is crossmatched or reseved. As pert of your dispensing step make sure your LIS flags for any special requirement &/or antibody information. Also make sure your staff checks history at the time of issue. make up a list of memory jogger for each function. During training make up a checklist of your procedure then make dummy patients with normal and abnormal patients and then let your staff issue units so they will be comfortable.

Believe me this works better than 1) reading SOP or 2) demonstrating steps.

Get used to using your computer . . . the day I went live (at 3 different places) we canned all the paper stuff - including wall charts. You can always print out your inventory (available, xm'd, reserved, etc). It should only take a keystroke or 2 to get the data on the scrreen. You never know when what you have "on the wall" is out of date.

Nothing worse than having two systems to keep up-to-date. That said, we keep our transfusion records for crossmatched units in an alpha file by patient name so it is easy to check there as well as in the computer if blood is ready for them. Maybe posting patient info unnecessarily on your wall is a HIPAA violation if everyone that comes to get blood can see it?