blood bag and patient identification

nsfirm

how is it done? I mean about two people should do the verification of the blood bag and the patient.

I asked three people which gave me three answers.

1. the first people read all the information from the document a (e.g. the blood transfusion request), while another confirmed it from other documents ( e.g. the piece of paper on the blood bag, the blood bag which is another piece of paper that is separated from the blood bag, and the medical record or patient's wristband.

2. the first people is the nurse who is going to start the tranfusion, has to confirm the doctor who request the blood (whether the blood bag asked was the same as the one that will be transfused)

3. one person read all the documents, and check whether they're all the same, and the second the same thing (re-check) to all the documents again.

what's in yours?

tq b4

The transfusionist (nurse) identifies that the Patient's triple name (on wrist band and verbally if possible) and ID MPI # match the triple name and MPI# on the tag, she/he also verifies that the info we have sent is correct: Blood Group, etc and that the crossmatch is signed by the BB, she/ he then signs to that effect. Then the witness (a nurse or MD) repeats the whole procedure separately and aslo signs to that effect. With the introduction of the handheld bedside barcode reader it will be a barrier that "should" help prevent mishaps.

The transfusionist (nurse) identifies that the Patient's triple name (on wrist band and verbally if possible) and ID MPI # match the triple name and MPI# on the tag, she/he also verifies that the info we have sent is correct: Blood Group, etc and that the crossmatch is signed by the BB, she/ he then signs to that effect. Then the witness (a nurse or MD) repeats the whole procedure separately and aslo signs to that effect. With the introduction of the handheld bedside barcode reader it will be a barrier that "should" help prevent mishaps.

so, it means the number three, which one person do the checking and the second person do the same process all over again.

thank you.

btw, I heard one presentation about the handheld barcode reader. I got the impression that it will mean that if we use the tool, we don't need a second person to do the re-check. is it true?

yes that is true by CAP because it is a mechanical barrier.

By barcode reading system do you mean a barcode band on the patient that is read with a scanner when the specimen is collected or transfusion software that the nurse uses to scan the patient's barcode wristband and the blood bag to record the transfusion in the computer?

By barcode reading system do you mean a barcode band on the patient that is read with a scanner when the specimen is collected or transfusion software that the nurse uses to scan the patient's barcode wristband and the blood bag to record the transfusion in the computer?

yup. it will be helpful in reducing the work of the nurses (which in the end abke to reduce the number of the nurses), but at this moment, buying the instrument with that kind of price will only make my board of directors unable to sleep. :) especially, thinking that the instrument need the support of a good his.... which is still a problem in my hospital.

Actually there are 2 places we need 2 people: Both at issue and at Transfusion.

If you are talking about Issue: Option 1 is closest.

a)The BB Tech checks the patient record (to be sure they have correct patient to begin with) while the person picking up the blood identifies the patient from their "pick up slip or label: info they need: Name of pt, MR# of pt, BB Band#).

B) THEN The BB Tech takes their pick up slip and gives them the blood unit. The Pick up Person (Nurse in this hospital) reads the ID label and the Blood bag ID info to the BB Tech who checks the issuing report (Transfusio slip or computer).

WHEN all matches: PICK UP PERSON (Nurse) leaves with blood in a bag.

IF you are talking about transfusion (Blood Already at patient bedside):

a) There is a place to document both nurses who check the ID, Blood Bag, Blood transfusion slip, etc. That everything matches. So both nurses need to compare that the blood bag and label on the bag and transfusion slip that came with the blood all match the patient armbands (hospital and BB) for correct ID.

Hope this helps: Kym

Actually there are 2 places we need 2 people: Both at issue and at Transfusion.

If you are talking about Issue: Option 1 is closest.

a)The BB Tech checks the patient record (to be sure they have correct patient to begin with) while the person picking up the blood identifies the patient from their "pick up slip or label: info they need: Name of pt, MR# of pt, BB Band#).

B) THEN The BB Tech takes their pick up slip and gives them the blood unit. The Pick up Person (Nurse in this hospital) reads the ID label and the Blood bag ID info to the BB Tech who checks the issuing report (Transfusio slip or computer).

WHEN all matches: PICK UP PERSON (Nurse) leaves with blood in a bag.

IF you are talking about transfusion (Blood Already at patient bedside):

a) There is a place to document both nurses who check the ID, Blood Bag, Blood transfusion slip, etc. That everything matches. So both nurses need to compare that the blood bag and label on the bag and transfusion slip that came with the blood all match the patient armbands (hospital and BB) for correct ID.

Hope this helps: Kym

it's number 1, then. thank you.

actually, I asked for receiving the blood bag (blood bag identification) and the bed side one (patient identification).

for issuing, do we have to contact the doctor again whether what they asked was right?

The Joint Comm has an opinion on the bedside reading that states that they do NOT mean a 2 person bedside check to consist of 1 nurse reading and 1 nurse checking, but instead, both RNs must read and check the paperwork and the pt's ID bands. This is part of the new Blood Bank safety goals, but I'm sorry, I don't know exactly where.

It is an interesting goal, but I understand it. We read the paperwork and the Unit information to the blood pickup person and have seen them miss our reading errors without blinking. 2 reads of the same data may not be any better, so I hoping the barcode banding systems with bedside ID eventually work out for us.

I would be interested in the details of the JC goals. In some places two RNs read the info together (i.e. speaking in unison) to verify ID. I would think that would make it hard to hear small errors like 1 for 9.

another way to translate the procedure. :)

more confusing.....

The Joint Comm has an opinion on the bedside reading that states that they do NOT mean a 2 person bedside check to consist of 1 nurse reading and 1 nurse checking, but instead, both RNs must read and check the paperwork and the pt's ID bands. This is part of the new Blood Bank safety goals, but I'm sorry, I don't know exactly where. It is an interesting goal, but I understand it. We read the paperwork and the Unit information to the blood pickup person and have seen them miss our reading errors without blinking. 2 reads of the same data may not be any better, so I hoping the barcode banding systems with bedside ID eventually work out for us.
I remember reading it. two people check and re-check like in number 3, but most the management people in my hospital said that it's number 1. even though I don't really agree since the first people only read one document, while the other has to read too many, which may make that person miss-read.by doing number three incident still happens, what about doing number 1?but, I have to do things according to the voting result. :)

This group isn't exactly a random sampling of opinion. :)

I meant the voting result in my hospital. :)

four doctors versus me. so, my thought should be put aside.

at least in this case I can easily step aside and do according to what they want, as long as there are two people check the blood bag and the patient.

but, I just got curious about what is really done in the other places.

thank you all for sharing.

I wish that I could spend at least a week in one of the best transfusion practice hospitals and learn. :)