Does anyone have a copy of Ortho A Panel extended typing sheet?

goodchild

But I know how to look it (and all the panels) up on the Ortho website from home. :)

I just called Ortho because we have had about 4 patients react inexplicably about 2+ (gel) with cell 11 on this panel. They said they have already had calls about it. Cell 11 is Bg+ on the extended antigram but no other testing is listed. Has any reference lab figured out what is on this cell by any chance and could share? By the time Ortho figures it out the panel will be expired.

My last patient reacted with cell 2 on screen cell lot VS399 and with cell 11 on VRA148 but with nothing else including my 3% panel and screen cells by PEG. Screen Cell 2 is listed as Bg- but if Ortho gets enough calls about it they might retest the donor for Bg to confirm. As you know Bg antigens can vary greatly in strength between people and over time in the same person. Since Ortho just types the donor once for Bg they can occasionally have a cell that is really Bg pos listed as Bg neg.

Ah, thank you. I didn't realize it would be so easy to sign up so I never bothered to try. Cell 11 is the reason why I wanted to look at the extended panel, we've had 3 patients show up with a newly identified anti-K who all had w+ to 2+ reactions on the 11 cell.

Now I won't have to bring home copies of the antigrams anymore, ha.

We have had several patients that are reacting weak to 1+ with cell 2 of lot VS399. Upon doing the untreated panel C the cell 11 has been positive. Reported this to Ortho. They sent us a different lot of screen cell, lot VS396. So, when we have been getting the w+ to 1+ on cell 2, lot VS399 we repeat in lot VS396. If IAT is neg with lot VS396 we are reporting as negative. Cell 2 of lot VS399 is probably Bg pos, when we are done using this set of cells we will report back to Ortho the number of patients with which we have had this problem. So far we have seen this in 12 patients, all females.

In a related note, I can't understand why a manufacturer would include a Bg pos cell as one of the D neg cell from a panel that can be used as screening cells when the patient has gotten RhIg.

In a related note, I can't understand why a manufacturer would include a Bg pos cell as one of the D neg cell from a panel that can be used as screening cells when the patient has gotten RhIg.

I can't understand why a manufacturer would include a Bg positive cell in their panel under any circumstances. It is not as if it is that difficult to test for the d**n thing (at least, not for them, although it is for the average Hospital Blood Bank)!

:angered::angered::angered::angered::angered:

Scr cell 2 is listed as Bg neg. Ortho tests the donor once with pooled anti-Bg antiserum and counts them negative forever more if they don't react that first time. Since Bg antigens are known to wax and wane, sometimes they find one that is actually Bg pos--or more accurately, we find them and call to tell them about it.

If everyone having problems with these cells would call Ortho to register your concerns maybe we can get these Bg pos donors voted off the island--at least for screening cells.

I have 12 patients, all female, that gave a weak to 1+ reaction with cell 2 lot vs399. When retested with Ortho lot vs396 bot cells are negative. I am going to pass this info on to Ortho, and hopefully the red cell donor in question will be removed from service,

• 2 months later...

Is anyone else getting unexplained positives on screen cell 2 on Ortho 0.8% screen cells lot VS421 (exp. 2/8/11)? I think we have seen our third patient now with a negative panel but screen cell 2 positive. This cell is listed as Bg neg on the extended antigram and 2 Bg pos cells on panel A don't react with the samples. I made sure it is not the same donor number as was on the screen or panels that started this thread in Nov. Those were 307589 and 307786 while this one is 307908.

The cells were not reacting with all patients so couldn't have had a positive DAT. After getting 2 positives in 2 days, we did try the same samples with another set of the same lot and they came out negative. We discarded those vials. Still strange that whatever happened to them did not make them react with all patients' samples.

I had seen similar situation...where I had 5 out of 30 patient came up positive with cell 2 (previous lot)..this was between eve & midnight shift so it was not picked up right away and panels were run...all came out negative (except one pt with history of anti-E). when repeated with manual gel (different set), with immucor regent the screening was negative. Next day I ran all specimen on same provue with different set and all were negative. DAT on SC2 was negative.