Antibody Screen with Autologous Units

Mary**

We only do an ABO&Rh and immediate spin crossmatches on patients that have donated autologous units. We keep these specimens in a seperate rack to indicate that an antibody screen has not been performed on the specimen. In the case that they would want additional units, we would perform an antibody screen. Additional units are rarely requested.

I would be interested in what others are doing.

it's the "rare" situations that get me. Seems like the more "rare" the probability, the more likely it happens when i'm involved. :paranoid:

We Type/screen patients who've donated autologous blood just the same as everyone else. With my luck, the autologous patient will be the routine surgery that "rarely" requires blood yet winds up bleeding out, who is o neg with anti-JkA, FyA and E in the middle of a shortage.:raincloud:raincloud

shleprock.

We now do a screen on our auto patients only because our transfusion software requires it. I do feel better knowing the patient is ready for regular donor units if the need arises. If an auto patient ends up really needing blood, their own couple units may not be enough anyway.

We treat all our patients the same and perform a Type and screen when we receive the specimen(s) for pre-admission testing. When the autologous units arrive we log them into our system(Cerner), bill charges and perform an IS crossmatch, you never know when Cousin "Botch" and Uncle "Nick" will arrive to complicate things.

Better to be safe than sorry.