Immucor

BBK710

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I heard about it from another company that is trying to then get me to purchase the reagents from them that I have been purchasing from Immucor (which is pretty tacky if you ask me:rolleyes:). The e-mailed me today discussing their products, and then the "reason" they were telling me about their products. They even attached a copy of the FDA letter to Immucor.

Brenda Hutson, CLS(ASCP)SBB

Do we really want reagents from a company that hasen't addressed issues from a 483 issued in January 2008 and a warning letter issued 5/2/2008? From January to December 2008, approximately 2398 Reagent Red Cell product complaints were received. That is a lot of complaints about a product not in use by the general population. I would expect that FDA wouldn't yank their license unless they make sure other manufacturers can take up the slack. I tend to agree with David that FDA will have to approve all lot releases. More of a problem with the red cell products because of shorter shelf life.

One does wonder with the astronomical price increases where all the money went to. Quality Control/QA?

Having notified Immucor several times of problems with red cells, there was always the Technical Services response that there have been no other reports of problems. From what the FDA found who knows how many other reports of problems were mis-filed, mis- categorized or even if they were even documented at all.

I wonder how we all will use this for our Supplier Qualification requirements

Well look how many of us use the ARC as our blood supplier and we all know what kind of hot water they have been in with FDA! My point here is that this issue with Immucor does not mean that we should run out and find another vendor even if we had a plentiful choice. They are too big for FDA to pull the plug as was stated before. There are plenty of facilities that operate under a consent agreement and still produce quality products.

I can't believe there was no mention of problems with the false positive Fetal Screens. That problem has not been corrected. The past 2 CAP surveys had samples with false positives (the latest survey results aren't back yet, but I predict an ungraded sample on that survey, as on the previous survey)

I didn't know that Immucor will have a problem with their quality. I thought since it's such a big international company, there should be quality assurance in place!

This thread really told me things that I wouldn't have know. I just printed out the letters for reading pleasure in my BB.

I can't believe there was no mention of problems with the false positive Fetal Screens. That problem has not been corrected. The past 2 CAP surveys had samples with false positives (the latest survey results aren't back yet, but I predict an ungraded sample on that survey, as on the previous survey)

We were amoung the 12% that got a false positive on the last CAP and have had 2 patients since. We switched to IMMUCOR when ORTHO was having problems with their positive control, found it easier to read so stuck with it. Anyone thinking of switching?