Tube-less??

miniBB

Hello All!

We are currently in the process of doing correlations from Tube to Gel. Our issue is that managment want us to do completely away with tube and take everything to gel... This worries us.

We have expressed our concerns, especially about having tube as a back up and for IS XM. Just curious if any other lab has gone completely tubeless or not, *haha* and what your thoughts on the subject.

THANKS =o]

I think you will need to keep tube, especially for the antibody screen and antibody ID. There are patients who may react strangely in gel or who have warm autos that gel enhances and you need tube for them.

Linda Frederick

WE are level 1 trauma center 600+ beds...We have Gel for type & screen, panels, extended crossmatches....we still have tube for back up ABORH type for traumas when we can not wait to complete gel ABORH, we also do IS XM in tubes.

I think you need to keep tubes!!!!!!!! you can have Computer XM instead of IS XM. and if you are not a trauma center may be you can do away with tube......keep as just rare back up, to do prewarm, tube screening for the suspected antibody to gel diluent or preservative.(here we dilute immucor reagent and run in gel).

YOu still need tubes . . . we use them for IS xm, titers, warm autos (I have never been able to totally absorb out a warm auto when tested with gel), fetal bleed screens . . . and sometimes you need them for antibody id's (Peg or LISS as enhancement). And, as stated above, when you need an emergency ABORh type, tubes are still the way to go.

Michaele - I don't think you need to do any correlations . . . you do perform ISxm on all your full xms, yes? If this is the case, you already perform this test so it does not require validation/correlation. More importantly, your procedure should define when to perform IS and when to perform the full xm.

I agree entirely with most of the authors in this thread.

I am the manager of the red cell immunohaematology department at NHSBT-Tooting Centre in London and, whilst we use gel as a "first defence" in all cases, we would be totally lost without tube technique, particularly in cases of autoimmune haemolytic anaemia, and in particular within that group, cold autoimmune haemolytic anaemia, where pre-warming of the reactants is vital.

It is the National Health Service Blood and Transplant (NHSBT) Centre at Tooting in London.

Until recently, the NHSBT was known as the National Blood Service (NBS).

The Tooting Centre serves as a Centre to collect, process, test and issue blood, but also has a Reference Red Cell Immunohaematology Department, where I am the manager and a Histocompatability and Immunogenetics Department (which is a total mystery to me - being entirely red cell orientated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).