Blood Bank Automation

Hello

For those of you already using automation:

How many among you are doing manual (or other method of) ABO/Rh reconfirmation, specifically/especially for first-time patients? I'm also interested to see if this varies from Echo to ProVue...

How many among you are doing manual (or other method of) ABO/Rh reconfirmation, specifically/especially for first-time patients? I'm also interested to see if this varies from Echo to ProVue...

We confirm Abo/Rh's on all "new" patients...ie. patients with no BB history at our institution. We are in a group of @ 5-6 hospitals in our area. If the patient has history at one of those other hospitals but not our own, then we make note of the blood type on file, but still perform two Abo/Rh's. In this circumstance we would program the Provue to perform a Type/Screen AND an ABO/RH. Both are done off the same specimen. (Doesn't make tons of sense to me, but that's what we do).

We have a policy that if we have no record of a "new" patient's ABO/Rh in our computer system (which has 20 years of records), we must confirm the patient's ABO/Rh. The second testing must be done by a different tech or a different methodology. So this is usually accomplished by one done on the Echo and one done by a tech using tube technique.

Our policy is that if a patient has an ABO other than Group O and no history, we obtain a sample from a different collection, i.e., previous CBC sample that was collected at a time different than the BXM sample or new draw. We can process both samples on the Tango.

Our policy is that if a patient has an ABO other than Group O and no history, we obtain a sample from a different collection, i.e., previous CBC sample that was collected at a time different than the BXM sample or new draw. We can process both samples on the Tango.

Is requiring 2 samples drawn at different times for the Blood Group an AABB, FDA or CAP regulation? Do you have the reference please?

Thank you for your help.:)

Liz

Is requiring 2 samples drawn at different times for the Blood Group an AABB, FDA or CAP regulation? Do you have the reference please?

Thank you for your help.:)

Liz

Two samples is not a requirement, even for electronic crossmatch (which requires two types, but they can be from the same tube). It appears to be becoming standard of care, however, since so many facilities are adopting it. It does help to catch WBIT (wrong blood in tube) errors. CAP does require a process for the prevention and reduction of misidentification in sample labeling (TRM.30550).

Two samples is not a requirement, even for electronic crossmatch (which requires two types, but they can be from the same tube). It appears to be becoming standard of care, however, since so many facilities are adopting it. It does help to catch WBIT (wrong blood in tube) errors. CAP does require a process for the prevention and reduction of misidentification in sample labeling (TRM.30550).

Thank you for your reply.

What do you think about: TRM.30575

"Does the facility have a plan to implement a system to reduce the risk of mistransfusion for non-emergent red cell transfusions?"

How do you apply this CAP requirement?

Thank you

Liz

Liz -

Some of the things that we would list to demonstrate that we are making efforts to reduce the risk of transfusion errors include the repeat ABO/Rh testing by a second tech or a different method, using "Typenex" wristbands wich have unique alpha/numeric ID numbers for transfusion candidates, our computer checks the patient's ABO/Rh & Antibody Screening testing results against the tech's interpretation and also checks the ABO/Rh and Antibody Screening results against the patient's previous records, etc.

As far as future "plans to implement", the hospital has plans (eventually --- but don't hold your breath!) to go to barcoded patient wristbands and hand-held barcode readers/printers for the phlebotomy staff so product specimen labels would be printed by scanning the patient's wristband. The hospital is also researching a system that would tie the patient's electronic chart to the blood bank computer system (ie: so when the nurse scans the donor unit just before starting the transfusion, the system would double check that the donor unit is, in fact, the correct donor unit that was crossmatched with the patient.)

Donna

As Donna says, many places are "planning" to implement transfusion end barcode scanning. Some places also point to collection end bedside barcode scanning and sample labeling as a method for reducing mistransfusion. There are many possible ways to answer this checklist item and probably application of more than one strategy is a good idea.

I would like to ask this group whether anyone is aware of any published information comparing the methodology used by IBG in their Galileo & ECHO machines to that used by Diamed in their automated systems?

Many thanks in advance.

Robert.

Hi Robert,

There are various papers- but it is very difficult to compare as the automation being used is different (older analysers such as the first generation Galileos (ABS?). The techniques for column agglutination also vary between countries ;in the U.S CAT using Ortho Provue cards are similar to the UK Diamed, not the UK Ortho cards.

There was a comparative study performed, that you may already be aware of; MHRA evaluation; six automated blood grouping analysers. There is very interesting/ unexplained data in this report, however, technology has moved on since this was published and it would be very useful and quite important that a further, more up-to-date evaluation was performed, looking more in-depth at the serology as well as the automation.

I'm pretty confident that if you went to an Echo with a tube back up you would never need to worry about your work load out growing it. We are a 300 bed facility and have only rarely over whelmed our Echo, maybe twice since December and then it was only for a short period of time until things settled down, maybe an hour or two.

:pcproblem

Hello John,

I am the process of purchasing Immucor and wondered since you have been using the ECHO for over 2 years if you are still happy with your decision? I am also wondering if you would share some of your process issues with me?

Thanks in advance.:)

Hello John,

I am the process of purchasing Immucor and wondered since you have been using the ECHO for over 2 years if you are still happy with your decision? I am also wondering if you would share some of your process issues with me?

Thanks in advance.:)

Sorry Velliott, I've been out of that job for over a year now. I did talk with some of my old staff last week and they seem to still like having it. But then all they have to do is imagine life without it and they cringe at the thought. There are a few folks out there who are curretnly in the know and I'm sure they will be willing to provide some input for you.

:abduction:abduction

We have had our Echo for about 18 months and can't imagine life without it. We have installed them in 4 of our 8 hospitals, one more being installed next week with 2 more planned. Only our newest hospital acquisition will be the only one without an Echo.

That being said, we are still working through the growing pains of what to do with those extra sensitive extra reactions that we do get. But we have that almost finalized. There are some other quirks that we have discovered and are dealing with but they were easy.

We have had minimal down time, oldest instrument recently had some intermittant problems that took a few weeks to completely resolve but we were only down about 5 days total. And Immucor's response was quite good. I do occasionally get irritated with Tech Support because they think the first solution to EVERY problem is to remove and reseat the probe. And then invariably the probe crashes and needs replacing.

• 2 weeks later...

"I do occasionally get irritated with Tech Support because they think the first solution to EVERY problem is to remove and reseat the probe. And then invariably the probe crashes and needs replacing."

Oh yes, been there done that! But I agree with the rest of your statement. The Echo has been great for us. Tech Support has been good.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have any experience interfacing blood bank analyzers with an LIS called Seacoast? I am working with a laboratory that wants to add type and screens for prenatal profiles to their testing menu, and they have had difficulty with their chemistry and hematology instruments and the transmission of results across the interface to the LIS.

Thanks.

Kathy

:cool::):D:cool:

• 2 months later...