PathLabTalk

Neonate Platelet Aliquots - references?

Hi everyone! 

I am writing a procedure for making aliquots from platelet pheresis units - I had done this a lot at my prior institution and I need a policy/procedure for my current hospital since we have a rather large NICU.

Does anyone have any references/CFRs/CGMP that can help me or procedures they can share?

Thank you!! And have a great weekend!

S

"Interesting topic, we had a 32 bed NICU and I don't remember ever transfusing platelets."

we have a larger NICU, but have transfused plts to babies twice already this week, so it's not uncommon from where I sit.

we have NAIT babies very frequently, as well as babies that bleed, drop their plts, need to go to surgery, and we bump their platelets first. 

I've attached our policies for preparing aliquots in general and our platelet policy.  Hope this helps.  Oh, we decided all aliquots in syringes expire 4 hours after being made to make it easier for both blood bank and nursing staff to remember.  We used to let the RBC and FFP syringes expire in 24 hours but nursing in particular would think all syringes expire 24 hours and we wasted a lot of syringe aliquots until I changed it.

BBI0015 Preparation of Aliquots.04.03.2020.doc BBI0017 Platelets 04.03.2020.doc

On 4/1/2021 at 11:08 AM, Sonya Martinez said:

I've attached our policies for preparing aliquots in general and our platelet policy.  Hope this helps.  Oh, we decided all aliquots in syringes expire 4 hours after being made to make it easier for both blood bank and nursing staff to remember.  We used to let the RBC and FFP syringes expire in 24 hours but nursing in particular would think all syringes expire 24 hours and we wasted a lot of syringe aliquots until I changed it.

BBI0015 Preparation of Aliquots.04.03.2020.doc 256 kB · 7 downloads BBI0017 Platelets 04.03.2020.doc 486 kB · 7 downloads

2.2.1        Pathogen Reduced Platelets and Cold Storage Platelets are not to be accepted and must be returned to the supplier.

Why do you not accept Pathogen reduced plts?

We are switching over to Psoralen treated plts, but have never transfused plt to any baby.