applejw

Blood Supplier Delivery and Shipping Boxes

Today, we received notification that our blood supplier will no longer be entering the hospital building. We are expected to meet the courier outside to take delivery of the shipment. Additionally, we will be charged for each of the shipping boxes since they are no longer going to be re-used.  Has anyone else encountered this as part of our brand new CoVID-19 world?

For about 3 weeks now our blood suppliers call us when they arrive at the hospital and my staff take a cart and go out to meet them. They are not doing the 'charging" for the boxes though. This is Buffalo, NY.

And since these couriers are out and about, why would you want to have them enter your hospital and add potential risk.  I think for the sake of all, this is not unreasonable to help keep down exposure.

My facility strictly limits who comes through the door. Our weekly restock driver makes it through - he has a letter stating that he is an essential service provider and that his temp is taken every day at work by someone qualified to take his temp and before he heads out on his route to us. The driver who transfers products between us and other facilities and rotates our platelet stock doesn't make it through the door - not sure why - so we go to them. There hasn't been anything said about paying for boxes. That would get expensive in a hurry!

Update:  Blood supplier now short on blood transport boxes - especially platelets.