Competency Assessment

bevydawn1

You are required to perform all CLIA required 6 elements for each platform of testing in your lab, assuming you are in the US.  I would imagine competency assessment plans will be highly specific.  We have a lot of them, they are focused on our exact workflows and would not translate well to another facility.

• 2 weeks later...

CAP has a program you can use through MediaLab.  It does require customization but it is all computerized and it sends out notices when the next competency is due. You put tasks, quizzes, observation checklists, etc... all 6 elements and document as you go.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:24 AM, tcoyle said:

There was a good pod cast recently from Joe Chaffin (blood bank guy) and Anne Chenoweth discussing AABB related items.  Anne discussed competency as well.  It was good information and may be helpful (and you can get a free CE as well).  Check it out!

Thank you for posting this information.  I just listened to the podcast and was thrilled to have another opportunity to learn something new and get CE at the same time.  I plan to listen to other podcasts from the Blood Bank Guy.

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to revamp our BB Competency Program for 2019. Do you perform a complete 6 element competency after training a new employee before they are allowed to report on their own?  Do you  repeat the entire thing at 6 months and again at 12 months? 

How do you define annual thereafter?  Any time during a calendar year to complete all test systems? 12 months +/-  30 days?

5 hours ago, Patty said:

I am trying to revamp our BB Competency Program for 2019. Do you perform a complete 6 element competency after training a new employee before they are allowed to report on their own?  Do you  repeat the entire thing at 6 months and again at 12 months? 

How do you define annual thereafter?  Any time during a calendar year to complete all test systems? 12 months +/-  30 days?

It may depend on your accreditor.  I know AABB doesn't define it nor does FDA.  I don't believe CAP does, but I am not CAP accredited.  I know The Joint Commission does define annual.  I believe it's as you described, every 12 months + / - 30 days.

CAP does define the time periods.  You are not required to do a full 6 element competency for the initial, but you do need to show they are competent to perform independently, so you need to have that defined.  The 6 mth competency does need to be the full 6 element competency.

Annual does not mean anytime during the calendar year.  It is a rolling 12 month period.  So if it was done Jan 2018, you need to perform in Jan 2019 (or within a few weeks).

I am attaching a CAP presentation document from 2014. Might be helpful.

CAP competency webinar.docx