typing with A1 lectin

LIMPER55

I can't think of a reason why, unless you take into account the relatively large range of A antigens per red cell there is for A2 red cells (160, 000 to 440, 000), which means that a red cells from an individual with 444, 000 A antigens per red cells may just about give a weakly positive reactions with some examples of Dolichos biflorus?

Limper55,  I just looked at the package insert for anti-A1 Lectin and can't find anything in it that stipulates that you use two different A2 cells, but our procedure and a continuing education course from the Red Cross on resolving ABO discrepancies says to test the patient's plasma with at least 2 A2 and A1 cells.  The package insert does say there is no US standard of potency, so maybe that's it.

I'm not aware of any regulation, but I suspect this idea might come from trying to satisfy the old 3 positive/3 negative statistical application of Fisher's method to get your magic p value of a 1/20 chance that your conclusion is incorrect. I read (or heard) long ago that since our reagent A1 cells and A2 cells are pools from at least three donors, they (in a Mickey Mouse sort of way) meet this.

I don't know what the regulations say, but if you are typing with anti-A1 in order to distinguish between A1 and A2, I would always test with an anti-H in parallel.  Bearing in mind that the most logical reason for using an anti-A1 in the first place is to sort out an ABO grouping discrepancy, you would want to cover the eventuality that you might have something other than an A1 or an A2 - and you need adequate controls!