Cold Agglutinin Screening

kimblain

I used to do them decades ago.  Perfusion had literature about "cold" blood pooling in the heart and causing problems.  My pathologists felt we should accede to their wishes.  We did Immediate spin, 5 minutes at room temp and 5 minutes at 4oC.  If we had a positive we did an abid at that phase and if specifc, we xm'd ag neg rbcs.  As I said this was decades ago.

That is a nice little doable cold screen - it even makes sense.  Our heart surgeons have been worried about cold agglutinins some too as the surgical procedures call for some real cooling of the patients.  I really didn't know what we could do for them that even reflected reality.  We only detect cold "somethings" if they occur in the I.S XM, otherwise we don't even see most colds anymore.  They once wanted us to do incubations at several different temps, gradually lowering them until we reached the standard heart surgery procedure temperature they wanted to use.  They wanted to use the lowest temp that did not show the cold aglutinin. We declined.

Well, I remember once being asked for C-, c-, Cw-, D+, E-, e+ blood, on the grounds that the patient had an anti-c and an anti-Cw (at about 02.00 in the morning, needless to say!).

Apparently,their Standard Operating Procedure (and it was a very large London Teaching Hospital, mind you) said that, if a patient had anti-Cw, the blood to be transfused should also be C-!  I put them right as politely as I could at that time in the morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back in the early '80s when we were washing lots of blood I contacted a Dr to inform them their patient had an antibody (I forget which one) and that it would take a little longer to find compatible blood.  I was informed that since I had a cell washer I should just wash the units and get them to them right away.  Needless to say we had a little discussion.  :disbelief: