BB refrigerator alarm checks

JoyDenver

Since many of the newer refrigerators have an elecronic alarm check system that simulates the temperature change, does anyone still do the manual checks with cold and warm water?  Does AABB and CAP accept the simulated alarm checks?  It is my understanding that the simulated checks will not record the temp changes on the chart; is this right?  and is that a problem with inspectors?  I am a Surveyor with COLA and I am in the process of revising our criteria for Transfusion Services.  Out in the field I still have my clients perform the manual checks at least quarterly.  Am I being too harsh?  

I've heard the arguments on both sides of this issue. Here's my take:

I have Helmer refrigerators that have the electronic alarm checks; we perform them daily to check high and low activation. I no longer do the quarterly ice/warm water test because I did a good validation when I received the new refrigerators (an AABB inspector suggested this...prove it works by validating it once). However, quarterly I do put a certified thermometer in the probe bottle and make sure that the certified thermometer, the chart temperature, and the digital display temp correlate within 1 degree C.

I also have the luxury of having continuous wireless electronic monitoring, and we have enough safeguards set up there (alerts go out immediately to the world for every temp out of range) and I can prove in the system that when an alarm is high or low, there is immediate corrective action documented.

We perform alarm checks 1/yr with the ice and the other times perform an electronic alarm check.  This was satisfactory for my inspector.  (I can't remember if it was TJC or AABB)

From the 16th edition of the AABB Technical Manual. In Methods: Method 8-3-1. Testing Refrigerator Alarms. Note #2, p976. "The thermocouple for the continuous temperature monitor need not be in the same container as that of the alarm. If it is in the same container, a notation should be made in the records that explains any out-of-range temperature registered as a result of the alarm check."

Based on the above, there is no requirement that there be a tracing on the temperature recorder chart paper reflecting temperature changes occurring during the alarm temperature checks.

Edited by Dansket

**REVISED** 07/29/2013

TRM.42750 Storage Unit Alarms Phase II

All component storage units are equipped with an alarm system that is monitored 24

hours/day (in laboratory or remote), with documented alarm checks (for both low and high

settings) performed at least quarterly.

NOTE: The laboratory should be able to demonstrate how the alarm system works and that there

is a process to ensure a timely response to an alarm, including remote alarms.

Evidence of Compliance:

✓ Records of alarm checks documented at defined frequency

For CAP anyhow, this sounds like you do need to do the manual checks quarterly. If you have a continuous monitoring system like we do, you're checking the functionality of the system to work as intended.

We perform alarm checks 1/yr with the ice and the other times perform an electronic alarm check.  This was satisfactory for my inspector.  (I can't remember if it was TJC or AABB)

This is what we do. I've never been questioned by CAP inspectors.

We still do the manual checks quarterly.  I had an inspector voice the opinion "that electronic checks were fine for the other months, but should be manually rechecked at least once a quarter."  That was some time ago (sigh!!) and electronic tests were newer, but current inspectors are happy with our system, so hadn't thought to change it.