Antibody Problem, Mysterious

Hankct9

We have a patient who came in recently and required a unit of PRBCs.   The patient is an A1 positive with a history of anti-K and LuA dating back to 1999. 

Today his/her AB screen was negative using gel(no hemolysis was seen).

2 units of A pos red cells were crossmatched using gel, per our protocol. 

To our surprise, both columns were completely hemolyzed.

An AB panal was then done, which was negative, as was the poly and mono DAT.

The patient was then gel crossmathed with O cells, which were negative with no hemolysis.

Ultimatly the patient received one unit of o cells without incident.

We can't figure out what's going on.  Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hank  

Thanks R1R2,  It seems like the MTS diluent may have been bad.  I repeated the gel XMs with freshly opened diluent and the XMs were negative with no hemolysis.  I then repeated with the old MTS diluent

and there was some hemolysis. 

The problem may just be with the diluent.  Maybe I should have done complete testing before posting my

problem..........oh well.

Thanks again for your help.

Had a couple of other thoughts last night.....has the patient received a lot of ABO Incompatible Platelets in a short period of time?

One other thought....though may not apply; depending on how many units you tried to crossmatch. Was thinking of a cold reactive antibody that was present on the A1 cells but negative on your group O cells (though the chances of it just happenning to be present on the A1 cells and group A units you crossmatched; but not on the group O units you crossmatched; is probably a stretch). But was thinking of something like Anti-Lea??

That is all "my brain can think of" at this point.

Brenda Hutson

Interesting side note to Ortho Gel, I have been picking up a lot of anti-Ms in Orthos reagents lately. If I suspect a fuzzy reaction, I will perform an antibody ID panel with room temp incubation for 30 minutes in the IgG gel card. Amazing how many times this helps explain an unexplainable test result.

Although, this does not appear to be the case here...because of the diluent.

Deanna

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...