Competency Assessment in the Transfusion Service.

goodchild

The 6 elements are required for testing methods. You can pick whatever method you want to do for competency assessment for non-testing tasks (dispensing, modifying, etc.). 

I am attaching an example of one of our test method competency.  We have these created for all our test methods.  We were inspected by AABB and CAP (not all our facilities are AABB) and the inspectors loved these documents.  After the CAP inspection, the CAP lead (BB Medical Director) asked our Quality Director if she could have copies of our BB competency documents.

The 6 elements are required for testing methods. You can pick whatever method you want to do for competency assessment for non-testing tasks (dispensing, modifying, etc.). 

I am attaching an example of one of our test method competency.  We have these created for all our test methods.  We were inspected by AABB and CAP (not all our facilities are AABB) and the inspectors loved these documents.  After the CAP inspection, the CAP lead (BB Medical Director) asked our Quality Director if she could have copies of our BB competency documents.

I TRIED to attach an example.  Sorry

Just going to throw this out and it may sound crazy but has anyone thought about using a "go-pro" or webcam to use for direct observation?? You could ask the blood bank techs to record themselves doing a task that would be too time consuming to Actually observe yourself. For example let's say a DAT or whatever and you could see exactly how the techs are labeling, washing, how much drops of reagent, etc.

Too crazy???

JP from Hawaii

Just going to throw this out and it may sound crazy but has anyone thought about using a "go-pro" or webcam to use for direct observation?? You could ask the blood bank techs to record themselves doing a task that would be too time consuming to Actually observe yourself. For example let's say a DAT or whatever and you could see exactly how the techs are labeling, washing, how much drops of reagent, etc.

Too crazy???

JP from Hawaii

Interesting idea...

• 11 months later...

We are just now revising our competency to comply with the CLIA (6 elements) and NYS Dept of Health (added a 7th element). It is a BEAST...the competency will now be many pages long and will require an average of 4 hours time with each tech (I have a total of 22 techs that rotate through the Blood Bank). Trying to wrap my head around how in the world I will get my other work done. :)

Yes, goodchild, I am including all of the methods that you describe above: direct observation, tests, verbal scenarios, review of computer entry, etc. Yes, I will also be including "tasks" in our competency, such as issuing blood. We will do the same competency for all Blood Bankers, including per diems. I won't be delegating, NYS is pretty strict about the part that it has to be a supervisor.

I just went to a CLIA presentation, which cleared up a few things for me. Now we just have to start it.

Would you mind sharing your competency with the 6 elements?