Ortho leaving BBing?

Mabel Adams

This has been an ongoing project for J&J since the late 80's. They have never found a buyer that could meet their price. Price is the bottom line for all J&J afiliates and the Diagnostics Division has never met the required profit margin. Blood Bank is a mature market where many of the customers buy on price rather than quality. Still no matter what happens I do not believe the product line will just drop off the market. The other small companies out there may see this as an opportunity to get a bigger foothold in the market. Immucor has bought anyone else of consequence so I can't see them buying the Ortho line. Let's hope wherever the company does end up it is with an investor that will but some money into R&D. We need to keep competion in the market healthy so that we can keep providing better, faster care for our patients.

I think Immucor is committed to a future in molecular so won't want to buy Ortho. Also, they were bought awhile back by an investment company that does turn-arounds I think so they may not be in a position to buy it. I would like Bio-Rad to buy Ortho and market the machine Ortho is planning instead of their older automated platform--but then I guess we would be back to no competition on gel reagents.