Dosage effect

I'm sorry, it's probably me having brain freeze, but I don't quite understand your question.

Would you mind expanding it a bit?

Yes Malcolm,

For example when I did 11 cells panel for that patient, the result was reaction grade 3 with cells number three and five (note that cells No. three and five are homozygous for E antigen), this clear for us that, this patient has anti-E, but also I can't rule out anti-JKa because that possibility of dosage effect on cells number six (heterozygous for JKa and JKb leads to negative reaction), and I have no more further investigation available in my work place as selected cells or others.

Right. Thanks.

There is NO WAY that I would rule out, in particular, a Kidd antibody with a single cell showing heterozygous expression. Either I would find more cells that are E-, Jk(a+b-), or I would cross-match E-, Jk(a-) blood.

Dear Malcolm,

This is just virtual example not true case. Because I can't remember exact case, but by that example I can explain my question, again my question is could dosage effect happen with heterozygous panel cells although reactions with other non-dosage cells were ranges between grades 3-4?

• 9 months later...

I agree with everyone else, there are so many variables and you have to consider each system/antigen separately. At my hospital we require 2 homozygous cross outs for Rh, Duffy, Kidd, and MNSs. However, I've told the techs that with M and N, heterozygous cross outs are fine if there are more of those since M and N aren't necessarily clinically significant. K, of course, usually presents a problem because finding K+k- is almost impossible, so I also allow the techs to cross out with heterozygous for that one (we have 62 panel cells at my facility, with the 3 Echo panels and 1 20 cell tube panel, and usually only 1 cell is K+k-).