Pre admission blood bank samples for surgery/ HIPAA concerns

ErikaK

The blood bank recently received a comment card from a patient who was concerned about wearing the blood bank ID band before surgery. She received several questions regarding why she was wearing the bracelet. It was also brought to our attention that the bracelet contained protected information. We are looking into how we can address these concerns. Any thoughts?

Welcome to the site Erika,

Aside from the patients name, medical record number, date of birth and some type of a unique blood bank number, what else might have been on the bracelet?

I think your patient relations department needs to help the patient feel more comfortable, they shouldn't be putting you in the middle. HIPAA is designed to protect patients, and I think it's a good thing, but it doesn't protect them from healthcare workers sharing the information they need to perform their job.

Just my two cents.

Even if the patient was seen carrying around a Lab report with HIV results, I doubt that the HIPPA police would think that the Lab is culpable for something. Certainly a patient voluntarily walking around with an armband wouldn't be an issue.

I believe that we do inform our pre-op patients like these that if, for some reason, they cannot wear an armband, they are informed that they have the option of having the T&S done day of surgery.

Scott

Scott

We attach BB bracelets which only have the BLoodLoc code on it . . . one of our Nurses had this same complaint, i.e., staff at work would know she was having surgery. It is a tough nut but we require the patient to be wearing the bracelet when the get here for surgery. To place it on them the DOS would negate the concept of the blood came from the pt wearing the band - could not be verified. We band them when the specimen is obtained. They could always cut it off and then put it back on . . . would our nurses "catch" that? I don't know.

Anyway - I agree that it should not be a HIPAA concern.

I can see the patient's concern, but I am not sure you can really do anything about it. There are a few cases where patients can't completely keep their information secret. If one of us has lab work or a path specimen examined some of our co-workers are likely to know about it. In my old job the pathologists that read out all of the slides in town owned the lab and were my bosses. They could have known we had cancer before we did. They should keep their mouths shut, but sometimes we might rather they not even know. There are logistical limits to HIPAA. If absolute secrecy is required, one must leave town or take the week of wearing the bracelet off from work (or wear long sleeves).

The patient's at our small community hospital also occasionally balk at having to wear a blood bank armband. We do allow them the option of placing it on their ankle with the advisement that they must let the pre-op nurse know where it's located when they arrive on the day of surgery. This has worked well to prevent some formerly contentious discussions with the pre-op nursing team and the lab phlebotomist as to why the patient had to leave the blood bank bracelet on at all, (discussions that unfortunately took place in front of the patient-arrgghh.)