Observation of Transfusion

tkakin

We require that they stay with the patient continually. We define that as within earshot and visual range--preferably in the room, occasionally outside but near enough for the above. I suppose we wouldn't complain about the momentary run to the nurse's station to get something but not going to care for another patient and coming back 10 min later. This is a tough one; it is very demanding of nursing time. They sometimes use a CNA to observe but they should be trained to recognize reaction symptoms. We are still working on this.

Our policy specifically states that they must stay with the patient for the first 15mins. I push this hard at every lecture for the obvious reasons. Do they do it in practice when I am not on the wards? - I hope so, but demands are hard on them. I also suspect by the timings on those first obs (we use BloodTrack Tx PDAs in the clinical areas so can see them on Manager) that this is not so (can vary from 15 mins to 30 mins) - perhaps they are having trouble with obs equipment!!!!!

Hard to monitor folks.

Cheers

Eoin

We have had inspectors harping on the fact that the transfusion doesn't really start until the blood reaches the patient's vein. This has caused a bit of trouble with counting that 15 minutes because the nurses like to record a start time right before they spike the unit so the 15 min vitals are really after only about 10 min.