Ortho panel C ficin issue

BB Bryan

We've noticed that Kidd antibodies are not being enhanced by the Ortho ficin treated panel cells (multiple lot #s of panels and gel cards). For weak Kidds, the untreated panels are often reactive, while the ficin treated panel is nonreactive. Ortho's package insert recommends using buffer gel cards with the ficin treated cells (Provue will only perform the ficin panel with buffer cards loaded).

After further investigation, we've discovered that performing the ficin panel with IgG gel cards (manually) provides the expected enhanced Kidd antibody reactions. Bottom line, buffer cards are not working according to the manufacturer for Kidd antibodies. Whether the Kidd Ab IgG component structure isn't buffer gel sensitive, Ortho won't speculate. Nor has Ortho admitted to any other record of this occurance.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? Beware

if we are suspecting kidd and it is not clear cut & ficin panel is negative reaction; we test ficin with IgG gell cards to rule in/out kidd antibody. We have seen clear cut kidd with ficin using IgG cards on 2-3 occassion where buffered/ficin was negative.

We try not to use ficin unless we really can not resolve ab-id with panel A & panel c-untreated.

if we are suspecting kidd and it is not clear cut & ficin panel is negative reaction; we test ficin with IgG gell cards to rule in/out kidd antibody. We have seen clear cut kidd with ficin using IgG cards on 2-3 occassion where buffered/ficin was negative.

We try not to use ficin unless we really can not resolve ab-id with panel A & panel c-untreated.

Doesn't panel C come as only ficin treated? My understanding is that it is panel A&B together - enzyme pre-treated.

I just checked on-line. Panel C is already ficin treated

Edited by David Saikin

yes we have seen this on several occassion and reported to Ortho. They gave explanation to the ref. in IFU:
Antibodies that require Anti-IgG to react will not be detected by this technique.

I've scanned the fine print of the IFU, REF 6902319 (0.8% Resolve Panel C System/Untreated/Ficin Treated) several times and can't find the above quoted statement in the insert. Do you mind sending that over the thread for my perusal?

Much appreciated, aakupaku

Doesn't panel C come as only ficin treated? My understanding is that it is panel A&B together - enzyme pre-treated.

I just checked on-line. Panel C is already ficin treated

Panel C comes as a two-panel kit, 1-treated and 1-untreated (same donor cells are used in both panels)

We've noticed that Kidd antibodies are not being enhanced by the Ortho ficin treated panel cells (multiple lot #s of panels and gel cards). For weak Kidds, the untreated panels are often reactive, while the ficin treated panel is nonreactive. Ortho's package insert recommends using buffer gel cards with the ficin treated cells (Provue will only perform the ficin panel with buffer cards loaded).

After further investigation, we've discovered that performing the ficin panel with IgG gel cards (manually) provides the expected enhanced Kidd antibody reactions. Bottom line, buffer cards are not working according to the manufacturer for Kidd antibodies. Whether the Kidd Ab IgG component structure isn't buffer gel sensitive, Ortho won't speculate. Nor has Ortho admitted to any other record of this occurance.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? Beware

Our Provue (software version 3.2) prompts user to load Anti-IgG gel cards whether the test PanelCFicin-IAT.gru or the test PanelC-IAT.gru is ordered. If the test PanelCFicin-37C.gru is ordered, Provue prompts user to load Buffered Gel cards. Is this not what you're seeing on your ProVue?