Product expiration

BANKTECH

I took it to mean that it must be issued by expiration (per the FDA regs, I think, but don't quote me). However, the new AABB 28th Standards has reworded Administration of Blood and Blood Components 5.26.3 #5 "The unit has not expired". It does not say that it must be completed before expiration. Bottom line, if you issue close to expiration, make sure that transfusionist can begin transfusion before expiration.

R1R2

This question is asked very frequently by nurses in the NICU. The aliquots have a 4 hour expiration time. We have always been under the impression that if the product reaches its expiration time during the course of the transfusion that's not a big deal. The electronic transfusion documentation that we use however, is not very happy.

NEW CIRCULAR OF INFORMATION----"13. Transfusion should be started before component expiration and completed within 4 hours."

I am only concerned when the patient has transfusion recation reported to the component which is already expired ...so we give out the component in sucha way that the transfusion gets completed before expiration.

I think ask the FDA answered this a couple of years ago and said that the unit must be issued and I think started before expiration. I want to say the same question was made of the Standards committee and I think they wanted it completely infused before expiration. I can't quite remember now. Medically, it probably doesn't make much difference (i.e. doesn't turn to mud) unless someone really abuses the situation (like an aliquot issued minutes before expiration then hung for 6 hours instead of 4).