blood transfusion indication and msbo

nsfirm

I know that I may ask too much, but anyone can please help me about:

1. indication of blood transfusion

2. indication of emergency blood transfusion

3. indication of massive transfusion

4. indication of transfusion before surgery (in my hospital there are doctors who ask for blood before surgery, how about in yours?)

5. msbo

thanks before....

nova

PS: I have to make a blood transfusion guide for my hospital and I need some references about how detail it should be (does all the laboratory result should be put inside the guide, or just the general laboratory result, eg. Hb for RBC transfusion).

I think I know what you are trying to do. For the laboratory

results for the hospital keep it simple, for blood bank staff make sure they understand why the results for transfusion helps determine transfusion. Once you define what the guidelines are, consult with the pathologist for comments, questions or concerns. Use the AABB manual for guidance. Do you have a blood utilization committee still? If so, they will be able to help determine laboratory guideline for your hospital.

If you have a good BB reference book you should be able to find the material you are looking for.

yes, I have some. but, how detail it should be?

e.g. I had one sample that said for transfusion of some component, we need the laboratory tests result which is not commonly asked in my hospital, but I'm afraid that if I cut the tests, it's an important one.

so, I prefer to have more samples so I can make a comparison.

I think I know what you are trying to do. For the laboratory results for the hospital keep it simple, for blood bank staff make sure they understand why the results for transfusion helps determine transfusion. Once you define what the guidelines are, consult with the pathologist for comments, questions or concerns. Use the AABB manual for guidance. Do you have a blood utilization committee still? If so, they will be able to help determine laboratory guideline for your hospital.
thank you. I will try that.in my hospital, the clinician usually only do Hb level test for determining the red cell transfusion. for hemophiliac, we use the coagulation factor level. but for other, it's a kind of no guide. it's complicated by the request form that (made by the red cross) and only ask for the Hb level.

There are some published transfusion guidelines on the internet you might search for.

yup. the one in the internet, which given for free, I have it. but if I have to pay, it means problem. I have no credit card (which I don't like), and the rate if I put it to Indonesian rupiah will mean a lot to me.

and indication is usually whether too general or too detail. and there are problems like leucodepleted blood which is not done to all of the blood bags in here, or washed rbc which is usually not in the indication guideline.

and about msbo, most msbo in the internet is usually for t&s test lab. how about in the hospital that still hasn't done that? like in my hospital which still use the major and minor cross match. so the samples from the internet can't be used in my hospital (even the sample from WHO can't *sigh*).

I know that this forum is not only for the people in developed country. so, that's why I ask for some samples in this forum. :) so I can get the guidelines from many point of views.

so, anyone? whoever it is, so I can make comparison, to decide what can be done at the moment, what will be done next, what to hope in the future. pretty, pretty please....

http://www.aabb.org/about/who/Pages/ContactUs.aspx

Try emailing at the link above and asking the AABB to put you in contact with someone with experience in devoloping countries where blood bank testing is limited to crossmatches as yours is. They have contacts all over the world and surely can put you in touch with someone. In fact, they should add a section to their (public) website for international information seekers such as you.

http://www.aabb.org/about/who/Pages/ContactUs.aspx

Try emailing at the link above and asking the AABB to put you in contact with someone with experience in devoloping countries where blood bank testing is limited to crossmatches as yours is. They have contacts all over the world and surely can put you in touch with someone. In fact, they should add a section to their (public) website for international information seekers such as you.

thank you..... I will