Issuing blood and blood components

CYGI

I work at a community hospital in Chicago, Il, and trying to help them with policies and procedures. I have noticed that when it comes to issuing blood and blood components they really do not have a straight foreword procedure. They keep dancing around how staff is supposed to issue units. Do anyone know where it is documented that nursing staff has to have a legal documented pick up slip to receive units? I am looking for something written either in AABB, FDA, IDPH,.. something help me.:cries:

There is no prescribed manner to p/u components. You have to devise your own system. What AABB wants is that you have compared pt/unit ABORH, your 2 unique patient identifiers have been satisfied, and the unit number/expiration date are correct. How you achieve this is up to your own policy.

Thanks David, that seems so out of the sink. Ok, so are you saying, there is no regulation that states that the nursing unit need to have a legal document or something to pick up units? I am not concern regarding the format, I really need something regulatory to fight this with.

You could use this:

TRM.40900 Blood/Tissue Sign-Out Phase II

The procedure for signing blood/tissue out of the laboratory provides adequate protectionfor the potential recipient.

I think this is an important process and should be the same for all patient care areas. You should define what you think is adequate protection for the patient. I think requests should include 2 patient identifiers minimum. After issue, copies of requests should be retained for a short period of time in the laboratory.

JB

I think you would be hard pressed to force a "legal" document requirement. You should run that idea by your hospital legal people. I think JCHAO requires a copy of the MDs order, and I think that is as close to something legal as you will get - and it is only a copy so I doubt that it would be considered "legal".

OK here is my issue. The faculty does not have a standard form used for nursing staff or hospital personnel to pick up blood or blood components. This causes people to bring whatever they think of to pick up blood and blood components: EKG records, patient labels from admitting, etc., If this is really not an issue let me know. I know that issuing units you must have the two identifiers, etc., and blood is a drug so there should be some where that something has to be brought to the Blood Bank to pick up blood. If the pick up is from the tube system, a form has to be sent down to the blood bank with the proper information required. Is there something for the walk-in? That is the information that I am looking for. I am trying to make this clear as possible.

Both of our hospital systems have blood product checkout slips. They have to bring thes these to pick up blood products. These forms predate me so they have been in use for at least 35 years. They are hospital forms. Looks like you will have to create one and get it through forms committee.

Although not really a legal issue you could use the argument the FDA uses: "if it isn't documented, it wasn't done." Since they are not leaving you with the EKG report etc. you have no documentation that they brought ID. If you should issue blood to the wrong patient they could say it was your mistake when really they brought a different patient's ID. You would have no proof. I think you can create a good argument without having a regulation per se. That said, if they are truly doing good ID and so are you, then the patient is indeed safe from wrong blood being issued no matter what tattered piece of paper they use.

One more point. If they have to bring a form and leave it, then they have to re-identify the patient for the next unit rather than just bring back the same paper they used last time. I think this is a good thing as each blood request starts with positive ID of which patient they intend to transfuse. Could you use the same form whether issue is via tube or in person?

The part about "if it is not documented, it wasn't done" can drive this issue home. Thanks for the words. I could not get that part together. As far as using the same form for issuing at this hospital does not matter due to the fact they have no tube system, but at other hospitals I work at some do and some do not. Thank you Mabel you have been very helpful. I will let you all know what was the outcome of this issue.

I agree with tricore. It sounds like you may want to develop a form (Blood Component Request), and enforce some document control.

The part about "if it is not documented, it wasn't done" can drive this issue home. Thanks for the words. I could not get that part together. As far as using the same form for issuing at this hospital does not matter due to the fact they have no tube system, but at other hospitals I work at some do and some do not. Thank you Mabel you have been very helpful. I will let you all know what was the outcome of this issue.

There is another bit to the "if it wasn't documented, it wasn't done."

It is "If it isn't signed and dated, it is graffetti."

You beat me to it!

And a telephone call is hearsay

We insist checks are done on the front sheet of the notes. Still though, we have staff who check against the BB report - well of course the match they were printed from the same record at the same time!

I want to say THANKS to everyone who responding to my issue. I WON my battle with the form. I presented all the facts and insisted that this is the best process for the patient. I also, had a former instructor assist me.

Another day we all have hopefully secured a patient life!

Yeah us

Thanks