Heat Elutions

Jives

we like to use a heat elution when doing a warm auto work-up so that we save cells and also relieve them of some antibody before trying to auto-adsorb. we have 2 heat elutions in our "ancient" SOP....one is at 56 degrees and produces and moderately hemolyzed eluate and the other is at 50 degrees (called "gentle heat") and it's eluate is much less hemolyzed....most of us here prefer the gentle heat....our problem is we can find no reference to this procedure....we have proven it works by running in parallel with ELU-kit....anybody out there using a 50 degree elution and if so, do you have a reference??:confused::confused:

thanks, jane:p

I'm just a student, and just had a little information about "gentle heat" elution, and got pretty excited about it, so that's where my comment came from. After I posted I realized I really didn't know what I was talking about...I think I need to do a little more studying before I post again! The course that I am taking refers to "gentle heat" elution, but only as a way to remove antibody so that the red cell is preserved and that phenotyping can be done. Please forgive my enthusiasm--maybe someday I will understand! (I HOPE!) Thank you! Yes, Mark Twain--"It is better to be presumed a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Do not hesitate to post information or questions here!! The only way to learn is to ask questions and try to help others. The best way to be sure you have a good grasp of something is to be required to try to teach it sometimes. There are many VERY sharp folks on this site that all have one thing in common... all started as a student at some point in their career (except for possibly Malcolm :D).

I'm just a student, and just had a little information about "gentle heat" elution, and got pretty excited about it, so that's where my comment came from. After I posted I realized I really didn't know what I was talking about...I think I need to do a little more studying before I post again! The course that I am taking refers to "gentle heat" elution, but only as a way to remove antibody so that the red cell is preserved and that phenotyping can be done. Please forgive my enthusiasm--maybe someday I will understand! (I HOPE!) Thank you! Yes, Mark Twain--"It is better to be presumed a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

catherine....you did good....the procedure is what i was looking for it is just not quite the right temp i was looking for....i didn't mean to make you feel your suggestion was incorrect....plus, i love to see a student that "loves" blood bank:D:D

thanks again, jane

Do not hesitate to post information or questions here!! The only way to learn is to ask questions and try to help others. The best way to be sure you have a good grasp of something is to be required to try to teach it sometimes. There are many VERY sharp folks on this site that all have one thing in common... all started as a student at some point in their career (except for possibly Malcolm :D).

I can assure you that I did Deny, and have made a fool of myself too many times to remember, but Deny's advice is absolutely spot-on Catherine - so keep posting.

I have yet to meet an expert who cannot learn something new, and often what they learn comes from the most unexpected sources (even a student!!!!!!!!!), so don't be put off for one minute.

For Malcolm's sake, I will share the quote recently posted in the AABB Smart Briefs:

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field. -- Niels Bohr, Danish physicist

We are glad you are the expert Malcolm!

I like it.:P