D negative parents and D positive newborn

Liz

Something similar happened at my workplace...a student rotating through the blood bank asked a coworker if her blood type was possible. She was certain her father was AB+ (he was frequently in the hospital), while she herself was O=. My coworker was stunned but managed to get out that blood types could be complicated and anything was possible.

The father could have been AB cis.

FYI, we have had many instances that mililtary personal in the US are typed as Rh= and they are indeed Rh+. I would take the husband's type with a grain of salt if the same lab is not testing the husband and the child. I personally have issues with believing what type someone is if they were not tested in my lab....

bduff, I fully agree. I wanted to call them BUT what if that was not the father so I did not offer.

"To change type B RBCs to type O RBCs: α-galactosidase from green coffee beans was used to remove a sugar molecule from the surface of type B cells, turning them into type O cells. "

Just bought more shares in coffee :) My only shares are in coffee and cocoa :) Never seem to go down in price :)

I seem to remember reading an article about a woman who was a DNA chimera, all of her tissue typed with one DNA profile except her thyroid and her ovaries. As long as we are talking about zebras instead of horses...

:tongue:

Yu, Neng; ; et al. (16 May 2002). "Disputed Maternity Leading to Identification of Tetragametic Chimerism". New England Journal of Medicine 346 (20): 1545–1552. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa013452. PMID 12015394. http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/346/20/1545?query=TOC.

Edited by DPruden
added reference

I seem to remember reading an article about a woman who was a DNA chimera, all of her tissue typed with one DNA profile except her thyroid and her ovaries. As long as we are talking about zebras instead of horses...

:tongue:

Yu, Neng; ; et al. (16 May 2002). "Disputed Maternity Leading to Identification of Tetragametic Chimerism". New England Journal of Medicine 346 (20): 1545–1552. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa013452. PMID 12015394. http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/346/20/1545?query=TOC.

Love Zebras as long as I'm reading about them, but not crossmatching one at 1600 on Friday afternoon.