Can't rule out out Anti-C or Anti-E when Anti-D is present!

dotahill

Help, we are using a 16 cell panel and we can't rule out Anti-C or E when an Anti-D is present due to a rhogham injection! We are having to send our work-ups to the ARC for an Anti-D!! grrrrr. We ran 1 full panel and then 4 additional panels were used for selected cells and we still couldn't rule them out! Does anyone have any suggestions or noticed how the panels are starting to not be helpful at all!!??

when r/o anti-D due to RhIg, you should be able to r/o using r'r and r"r cells. You can r/o using these cells anytime if you either enzyme pretreat or use PeG. (of cousre it will be depend on the comfort level of your Medical Director). When you know the pt rec'd RhIg thee is no need to go to great lengths esp if the D+ cells are weak - I assume you are using gel or capture.

when r/o anti-D due to RhIg, you should be able to r/o using r'r and r"r cells. You can r/o using these cells anytime if you either enzyme pretreat or use PeG. (of cousre it will be depend on the comfort level of your Medical Director). When you know the pt rec'd RhIg thee is no need to go to great lengths esp if the D+ cells are weak - I assume you are using gel or capture.

We do not have gel or capture yet. We do use the cells that are bracketted, but it still isn't enough. I was thinking about getting PeG becuase this is getting a bit crazy. If the doctor's would stop ordering type and screens 5 days after giving rhogam, it would be a big help!!!

If the doctor's would stop ordering type and screens 5 days after giving rhogam, it would be a big help!!!

What is the situation causing them to make this sort of order? Might an educational session between your pathologist and the physicians producing orders be of benefit for all parties involved? Just my .02 worth.

We do not have gel or capture yet. We do use the cells that are bracketted, but it still isn't enough. I was thinking about getting PeG becuase this is getting a bit crazy. If the doctor's would stop ordering type and screens 5 days after giving rhogam, it would be a big help!!!

Some docs mistakenly believe that if they can document anti-D after giving RhIg then the efficacy of its adminstration is verified. Your Medical Director should intervene to have them cease this practice. If this was true, you would not have to give post-partum RhIg since we can usualy detect the antenatal dose at the time of delivery. Get your doc involved!!!!

• 2 months later...

My Ortho Resolve Panel A has 1 r'r cell and 1 r"r cell. I realize that they are not homozygous, but it helps differentiate along with selected cells in most cases. I agree that performing cell types for C and E will provide more information and ammunition.

:boogie:

My Ortho Resolve Panel A has 1 r'r cell and 1 r"r cell. I realize that they are not homozygous, but it helps differentiate along with selected cells in most cases. :boogie:

But, unless you have unlimited supplies of ryry, or r'r' and r"r" red cells (which nobody has), without differential alloadsorption, then an r'r and an r"r will have to do!

I thought in the presence of Anti-D you can rule out E and C using the heterozygous cells on the panel. Usually there is one cell for E and one for C that are not positive for D. I learned that from a thread on here a few years ago?