-80C thermometers

David Saikin

• 5 months later...

I ordered an ultra-low thermometer for our plasma freezer that should have been in 30 ml of propylene glycol but when we got it, it was in sand instead. Thinking that the wrong thermometer was put in the box (we verified manufacturer's numbers) we called Cardinal and were told that these now only come in the sand. My question: would this be an appropriate thermometer for Blood Bank freezers? Are the heat transmission properties considered to be the same for sand as it is for frozen products?

Streck has them

Red Spirit -90º to 25º C Ultra-Low Freezer 240047

COMPONENTS

A short stem bulb immersion thermometer containing toluene is inserted through a rubber stopper

into a 10 ml vial

containing a solution of 55% propylene glycol and 45% methanol. The thermometer

and vial are enclosed in a plastic tube. The tube will contain the fluid should breakage occur. This assembly can be attached magnetically or adhesively to surfaces

I would suggest making a request for information / validation of performance from the manufacturer. If nothing else your Cardinal rep. should be able to look into the questions you have posted here. My immediate reaction is that the sand will not react to temperature changes in the same was as frozen units. Likely the sand would respond to changes in temperature more quickly than glycol. This may not be all bad as the thermometer would then reflect out of range temperatures quicker that a frozen unit on the "warmer" side of things. Curious to see Cardinal's reasoning and answer to your questions. Let us know if you find anything out.

• 3 months later...