Blood Bank supervisor/manager on Transfusion Committee?

ritaberry

I was not the supervisor when our Transfusion Committee was formed. It was added onto the Tissue Committee to become the Tissue and Transfusion Committee since no one thought the physicians would attend two meetings. The committee was formed as a peer review and as such, the pathologist giving the tissue report is on the committee. The Transfusion Service Supervisor (me) does the Blood Utilization report but is not a member of the committee. I am considered a "presenter" because I am not a physician. The QI person who performs the chart audits for compliance with transfusion triggers and appropriate use is also a "presenter" and is not on the committee (again not a physician). This has not particularly been an issue, but recently during a discussion of blood supplier issues and transfusion committee functions, it was pointed out that I am not a member (I also need to be on quality committees for my CQA continuing ed credits). I told my lab director if I am not permitted to speak at this committee, I need a different committee for the Transfusion Service. At the current time we submit patient safety issues to Risk Management and utilization issues to the Tissue and Transfusion Committee. I believe we need a committee for blood bank that addresses all issues regarding the Transfusion Service and blood products. According to several references that I have consulted, including "The Transfusion Committee" by Ira Shulman, AABB Press, the committee should be multidisciplinary, not just physicians. The letters to physicians can still come from the committee chair, who is a physician. What do you think of this design? Is the Blood Bank supervisor or manager on your committee?

The BB manager is an equal member and a great asset.

The Blood Utilization Committee should be a separate entity. It reports and recommends to the Chief of Staff. The BB Director is the secretary and vice chair (not chair) on the Committee.

I agree with Malcolm, at my hospital our Blood utilization committee is comprised of different disciplinaries. My medical director is the chair and the rest of the committee comprises of nurse trainers and other head nurses in the hospital from different departments. I am also always given time before we review charts to talk and state any good things that are being done regarding transfusions, as well as, any problems that I may be noticing so that the other members know of these problems and can be fixed. If you aren't allowed to express any concerns nothing can be fixed, unless that's why the physicans don't want you to speak......

Our Transfusion Utilization Review Committee consists of the BB medical director, the BB manager, the BB supervisor, a perfusionist from the OR, a RN from Risk Management, the lab QA coordinator, an RN from the Blood and Marrow Unit, an administrative asst to take minutes, and 3 MD's from different disciplines (high volume blood users). This multi disciplinary committee is very effective and has become an effective quality and communication tool. We often have ad hoc members come to the meeting when needed.

Our Transfusion Committee,

Consultant Haematologist who is the Chair, Laboratory Services Manager, Chief BB Lab, Haemovigilance Officer, Quality Manager LAB, Best Practice Manager Hospital, DON, Nurse Practice Manager, Nursing Rep, Anaesthetist, Physician, Surgeon (these medical rotate a bit).

I would check with your regulators re make-up. It is one of the things that they look at when they audit. Sounds like yours is top heavy and not representative of the Transfusion Service as a whole.

Cheers

Eoin

I must say that if you go to the AABB Technical Manual and Standards they tell you the proper way to run the BUC based on years of experience. That is, they tell you who the members should or should not be. Also the function of the Committee. The more I refer to these 2 books the more I realize that they hold a wealth of information (like Malcolm's brain).

I want to thank everyone that replied. I took your replies and the "Transfusion Committee" book and the New York Department of Health Guidelines for Transfusion Committees to a meeting last week with our QI department director and others. It was agreed that Blood Bank needed a separate multidisciplinary committee and I am getting to set it up. I really appreciate this forum!

Rita Berry

I want to thank everyone that replied. I took your replies and the "Transfusion Committee" book and the New York Department of Health Guidelines for Transfusion Committees to a meeting last week with our QI department director and others. It was agreed that Blood Bank needed a separate multidisciplinary committee and I am getting to set it up. I really appreciate this forum!

Rita Berry

Congratulations!! I am very proud of you. And you get to set it up. They need someone like you with the spirit and energy that you have! Good job!