Number of testing limit

blessed

Many years ago the Joint Commission recommended that Blood Banks process one sample at a time...not very realistic in most Blood Banks. I had a JC inspector challenge me on it once, I explained to her that patient care would be compromised (turn around time would be ridiculous) if we did one at a time, and showed her that I had in my policy how to safely process multiple samples (processing/resulting blood types one at a time, not spinning tubes from 2 patients in the centrifuge at the same time, etc). She was satisfied with that.

So...decide what you think is safe at your own facility and put it in your procedures how you expect multiple samples to be processed.

Edited by tbostock
misspellings

:juggle::juggle::juggle::juggle::juggle:

With the advent of gel testing it has become easier to batch antibody screens. My techs will only batch antibody screens. When preforming the rest of the testing, it is performed one patient at a time since the rest of our testing is by tube. At our facility, there is only one BB tech scheduled in the department on first shift. In my experience, inspectors want to make sure that the testing that we do is correct and maintains patient safety. Whatever you do, be able to justify it.

I agree that it depends on the techs level of experience and comfort level with the testing and what works at your facility.