Weak D

butlermom

I would like to get your thoughts. Mother is O neg and baby has a positive DAT. Baby is group A but did not react with anti-D at immediate spin. I have always reported these as "unable to determine Rh due to positive DAT" and given the Mother RhoGam. One of my younger techs on evening shift performed the weak D testing and called it negative. What I discovered was that she only read the Coombs phase MACROscopically. When I repeated the weak D and ran the Gamma-clone control, both were positive under the scope. Obviously the positive control makes the test invalid. We gave the Mother RhoGam. Am I out-dated to still be reading these microscopically? How do you handle these?

I try to use a mild heat elution to remove bound ab - this works pretty well for DAT+ of 2+ or less. If you have a microscopic +DAT it would resolve your issue. Microscopic reading is usually frowned upon these days, but sometimes you have to do it. Depends on your staff competence and confidence.

I've always interpreted the phrase "...may use an optical aid" in the manufacturer's package insert to mean the microscope. I'm now beginning to think it only means the magnifying agglutination viewer and I should quit reading everything under the scope (except fetal bleed screens and DAT's of course).