Blood Bank Freezer

Liz

My request for yet another BB freezer was approved. May I ask if someone knows if the Blood Bank Helmer freezer: iPF125-8 exists in a double-door version? We import a lot of our equipment and I didn't find it on their web-site and no reply from 'sales@helmerinc.com' :(

Moreover, which BB double-door freezer brands would you advise?

Thanks,

Liz :):):):)

Come to think of it, I have never seems a double-door freezer in any lab -- I'm sure one exists somewhere.

I don't think I'd get one. Despite the reliability, if a problem occurred, you'd have to find alternate storage for all the contents. It's hard enough if it's a single-door freezer ...

Thank you very much for your replies.

Our Plant Engineering just said that it is better to have 2 single doors as mentioned by Lcsmrz.

I shall also look up Gem.

Thank you,

Liz :):)

Just use Helmer's 1-800 number (on the website) to call them - much better than those "Contact Us" pages which I have never gotten to work either for any company. Best of luck on your new freezers.

One small issue we've had with GEM's. They apparently have no parts depot in the US. When we had to replace a compressor (fortunately under warranty) it had to be shipped from Germany. Other than that we've been happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Although almost everything Helmer makes is good quality. The same cannot be said for their Freezers. There are definite Gremlins in those models. alot of condensation and ice build-up, etc..

I would look at a GEM or other known Hospital quality brand if it's for a freezer.

I heard GEM is even into the Plasma Thawer business these days.

I would like to know if anyone has tried and what are their thoughts on Helmer's latest freezers: "Horizon" series and the "i" series?

Thanks

Liz

if you're in an area that doesn't have much humidity, the Helmer should be ok. But, I would look at a Gem unit or other alternative if you think there could be humidity issues.

Hi Mary, thank you for your reply. I appreciate it. Most of my equipment is Helmer and this is the first time I order a Helmer freezer. I have a lot of other brands (5, one of each) the best to date has been our very old Jewett, which I believe is now Thermo Scientific.

ModernDayVamp, thank you for the warning, no we don't have humidity within the building, although it is awfully uncomfortable outdoors, so we will be fine. Thank you.

Liz

:flirty:

• 8 months later...

We have had repeated problems with our Helmer freezer (iPF 125-8). It's been down 5 times in 3 years for various problems. I am completely dissatisfied and would not recommend it.

We have other Helmer equipment (double door refrig, cell washer, 2 plasma thawers, platelet incubator and agitator) and haven't had problems.

We have had repeated problems with our Helmer freezer (iPF 125-8). It's been down 5 times in 3 years for various problems. I am completely dissatisfied and would not recommend it.

We have other Helmer equipment (double door refrig, cell washer, 2 plasma thawers, platelet incubator and agitator) and haven't had problems.

what is it that breaks down?

We had problems initially with our Helmer freezers that had to do with the power requirements. What they had listed was not the right level. They provided converters and now the freezers run fine. I suspect they would be even better if you provided the correct power level straight from a clean line.

Thank you Adiescast, its good to know, and that was the initial condition of the Plant Engineering Department, they re-checked the power supplies. We have direct lines for each equipment, especially the Centrifuges. These can be a headache without the right power.

Thank you

Liz

I would go with 2 single freezers instead of one double. This way when you defrost one you can put all your product into the other. The same if one goes down for one reason or another, you can get your products into the one that's not broken. Now, if you have freezers other than just one double this may not be an issue for you.