Just For Fun

Brenda K Hutson

We give volume reduced (plasma reduced) plateletpheresis for incompatible platelets. We have a patient that was transplanted and requires AB plasma products. I took a call last week from the doctor stating he did not order volume reduced but he did not want the patient to have a reaction or form an antibody (duh! neither do we). I explained that because of her plasma type requirement, and the fact we rarly have AB platelets, all of her platelets would be volume reduced. He ended the conversation with "are you sure she won't have a reaction?"

Crystal

Edited by cmelloh

We have a vet in the area who specializes in birds whose name is Dr. Bird. Seems preordained, doesn't it? Now my wife used to see a general practitioner named Dr. Wiener. I would think he should have made a splendid urologist...

We had a cardiovascular surgeon at our hospital who weighed about 300 lbs, had the bacon and eggs breakfast every morning and smoked Marlboros. He died of a heart attack in his 50s. We had an orthopedic surgeon who cut off 3 fingers on his operating hand with a chain saw (he handles the office chores for the practice now). We have a 4'11" endocrinologist.

I take that Dr. Cutter was a surgeon, or, perhaps, a post-mortem pathologist???????????????

:devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish:

Well, not really a surgeon.....basically a family practice physician. (However, 50 years ago it wasn't uncommon for "doctors" to do just about anything medically related, especially in non-urban areas, so he probably made a few "cuts" during his career.)

Donna

This is, maybe, not the correct thread for this post, but I had to post it somewhere!

I recently heard of a case (I can't say where) where a freezer failed its temperature mapping for the Quality Department because the temperature rose when the door was left open for 5 minutes (a door opening that was logged during the mapping process), despite the fact that the temperature returned to within acceptable limits within a very short time, and, shock of shocks, the temperature rose most at the top of the freezer.

DUH! A freezer temperature does tend to rise if the door is left open, and I learned at my mother's knee that hot air rises.

You couldn't make it up could you!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I was once overseeing a student who was assisting us in the Urinalysis department, a few years ago. When I noticed she was taking an awful long time at the microscope doing a sediment analysis, I questioned her and she replied that she was counting the WBC's. I then saw that she had a Hematology manual cell counter next to her and it was almost up to about 500 or so. . .. .that's when I got worried. Turns out, she was counting every single WBC she saw in the urine, in each field! *facepalm*

Good God! I gently explained to her that you're only supposed to give a "range" of what you see in each field, like 2-5 WBC per high power field, or TNTC (too numerous to count)--not count everything in all the fields and add 'em up!!

Scary to think that this is how some students are interpreting what they learn in school!

I worked with two medical students named Hurt and Butcher.

HAHAHAHA! When my daughter was a baby, she had to be put under anesthesia many times for eye exams due to a retinoblastoma she was born with (I stopped counting when we hit 25 times. . . .) and the anesthesiologist that we ended up having assigned to our case, most of the time was an absolutely gorgeous African-American woman. She could've been a supermodel, but it was her name that made you uneasy: Dr. Slaughter. . . .and I'm not kidding--that's for real!!

I was once overseeing a student who was assisting us in the Urinalysis department, a few years ago. When I noticed she was taking an awful long time at the microscope doing a sediment analysis, I questioned her and she replied that she was counting the WBC's. I then saw that she had a Hematology manual cell counter next to her and it was almost up to about 500 or so. . .. .that's when I got worried. Turns out, she was counting every single WBC she saw in the urine, in each field! *facepalm*

Good God! I gently explained to her that you're only supposed to give a "range" of what you see in each field, like 2-5 WBC per high power field, or TNTC (too numerous to count)--not count everything in all the fields and add 'em up!!

Scary to think that this is how some students are interpreting what they learn in school!

We have seen students do many unusual and creative things over the years, but the prizewinner was the guy who sheepishly told a tech that he had a little problem. She went over and found a test tube rack dangling from his hand. He had managed to get his thumb stuck quite firmly in one of the holes. It took a lot of soap and pulling to set him free. (His car sported a bumper sticker "I'm not from this planet, you know".)

My students get a very thorough and detailed wet final practical at the the end of their BB rotation. I ask them to save their specimens to check their work (and my preparation) in case they don't get the expected reactions. A few days after two of them had finished, we noticed there didn't seem to be many extra test tube racks around. We searched, and found them in a fridge filled with hundreds of 12x75 test tubes with little dried up cell buttons. They had carefully saved every tube they had used for the practical!

Even scarier than students doing things like this is an MLT(Board certified, supposedly) that would VORTEX his urine sediment before he looked at it under the scope. All of us were horrified! We all tried to tell him that he is breaking up casts, etc but he wouldn't listen. His reply was "well, they are more frequently negative after vortexing". NO KIDDING!!! Management turned a deaf ear and a blind eye to the situation.

To all you managers out there-------LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES!!!!!

I worked with a new MT who could never seem to master the fibrometer QC (remember those!). All of a sudden, he stopped having issues with his QC. I asked him what he had done and he told me that he would run the QC see how many seconds over the limit the result was, and then run the QC again and start the timer and wait to add the CaCl for however many seconds he was off. Shudder.

You know...when TV shows would "blame the lab" for major errors, I would get angry because we really do a spectacular job as technologists. After reading about some of these techs/students and their misinformed way of doing things (ie. totally against protocol)...I'm thinking differently! LOL...scary!!

Perhaps these are the techs that are "afraid" of working in blood bank/transfusion services because they're afraid of killing a patient by their errors? You know the ones I'm talking about, don't you?!!