how many Rhogam?

rescyth

Hi! Im new here and i have a question regarding on one of the topics ...

How my Rhogams should a Type O positive Male px recieve if he was transfused with 2 O positive PRBC during a bleeding episode... should we follow the 15ml PRBC/30mL WB = 1 vial then +1 vial if recieved more >15ml PRBC/30mL WB ???

Thanks!

During AABB this year, Dr. Werch out of Ben Taub in Houston had a abstract poster on this subject. Although this was based on females of child bearing years, it gave two scenarios on the treatment. Also Dr. Jay Herman out of Philadelphia had a paper in Transfusion this past year on mismatched blood transfusions.

Most people do not worry about males being treated for this but some do treat. In Dr. Werch's paper she discussed a patient who received 2 units of PRBC's, but the calculations will vary by the amount of PRBC's in each unit. Most are around 200-250cc, which works out to around 16-17 syringes of Rh Immune Globulin per unit. Rhogam use to have a maximum dosage of 3000mcgs. not sure if they still do but that would be only 10 syringes. In both if Dr. Werch's cases she gave the product IV. There are two IV formulas on the market, WinRho and Rhophylac. She used the latter.

thank you so much for the replies! :) by the way on the 450 ML thing, i just overexaggerated it to really emphasize the number of RHig to be given and we only have 1 box of RHig, so i doubt we can give it all away to some dude.

thanks again everyone, i appreciate it ^_^

What kind of response is to read the package insert!?

I hate the attitude.

The reason I said to check the inserts...because I do not have one at home and do not remember calculation(I refered to package insert in past to calculate the number of vials). If your clinician wants to give RhoGham you have no choice you have to give. We had such a case at my hospital where trauma patient got Rh postive blood and clinician insisted that he wanted to give Rhogam so we ended up giving WinRHo.

I think anyone giving RhIG in these circumstances either IV or IM should consider the affect of this amount (2 units!) of red cell destruction on the patient before they administer the RhIG. We would not give it in this situation. If a doctor ordered it, our pathologist would talk to them first.

Linda Frederick

Sounds like a pathologist issue to me. I'd evaluate the patient for post-transfusion hemolysis (haptoglobin, LDH, urine dipstick) before any Rhogam would be considered, male or female. We probably wouldn't waste Rhogam on a male patient anyway. Make all the Anti-D you want, buddy!:cool: