Group & Save for Tonsilectomies ?????

Eoin

Hi Folks,

Can I get an idea of whetehr their is a requirement for Group, Screen & Save for tonsilectomies, Adenidectomies. After taking up my post here, we did a lookback & found no urgent crossmatches intra-op for Ts & As. We stooped Group & saving. Some push to have it re-introduced. Could I have an idea of who does and who does not perform any bloodbanking for them. An idea of the size of your Hospital would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Eoin :confused:

Thanks for that Folks,

I knew what the answer would be.

Was just looking for ammunition to hurl at this clinician.

I have been in Bloodbanking for 40 years, and apart from a couple of bad bleeds at wound-breakdown, have never seen the need for anything else but what would I know, I'm just a Medical Scientist.

Regards to all and thanks again.

Add me to the list as well. My daughter, 18 at the time, dropped from a 14 hgb to a 7 in a day and needed emergency surgery, but that was a week post-op when the scabs fall off. (Ironically, she's in her fourth year of med school now and applying for ENT residencies.) They don't go bad during surgery. If they do, your emergency release of group O policy should cover it.

We have an ENT that does G&S on some cases and occasionally has us cross units....??he had a case go real bad?? - we sometimes to a VonWillebrand screen and when we were doing bleeding times his pre-op days were hell!

I come from a 360 bed hospital in Canada - we don't have insurance companies policing orders (sometimes I wish we did!!). We can bring 'inappropriate' orders to our medical director but his answer is usually "they are the attending doctor, they are taking responsibility" so it is rare an order gets changed and to be honest I've given up beating my head against the wall unless I have a huge issue (sorry, I'm venting!!)

My institution is 180 beds and we've not been doing anything routinely for the almost 30 years I've been here.

I did have to meet the demands of an extremely nervous mother once and draw an autologous unit on her 10 year old :cries: - mom was sure that the kid would need blood and then get AIDS :eek: . The doc 'educated' her until he was blue in the face but couldn't budge her. Thank heavens the kid was big AND mature for his age so the auto draw didn't traumatize us all!