Self-Stick Product ID tags

SandyR

What type of labels are available for facilities interested in having the product tag adhere to the product bag? What about printers for these tags? If you are using stick on product tags now do you like them? Any input would be appreciated. We're considering changing our current tags to something that sticks on the units.

Thanks,

SandyR

There is a tension between the ability of a label to stick at refrigerator temps and below and the ability to get it off after it's no longer needed. It seems that it's one or the other, although I worked with one computer system (SoftBank) that seem to make a great trade-off between the two.

There are "all weather" labels with special adhesive that will adhere to a cold plastic bag, if you don't want to ever remove them. I don't know if the adhesive is approved for direct attachment, though.

We also use a tie-tag for the same reason Mabel does -- and any old label will do for this purpose, so the cost is low.

Our QA group has informed us that if a lable is placed directly on the plastic bag of a unit of blood the adhesive must be approved by the FDA for such use. Therefore, we no longer stick anything directly on the plastic. Being a transfusion service this is not difficult.

I have no reference for where they come up with this but as I am lead to believe, it is a fairly common understanding. Apparently the concern is that there may be chemicals in the adhesive that could leach through the plastic and effect the safety, purity and potency of the blood product.

I am here- I do not think you will find anyone willing to say their label adhesive is approved under FDA regulations for direct blood bag contact other than those who have pre-printed labels especially made for blood bags. That was one of the last problems I dealt with before going back to work for the railroad. So, we use the tie-tag for the labels we attach. The issue is leaching of adhesive chemicals through the blood bag into the blood. Apparently, the issue is real rather than theorized.

BC

John,

I don't have access to it any longer, but I had an article provided by my Terumo rep at one time. Ask any label company if their adhesive is approved for direct attachment to blood bags. If you are talking to the right person (i.e., not that high-schooler hired to answer the phone, but someone with knowledge), I don't think you will find anyone who can say "yes" other than Shamrock (which makes approved pre-printed labels) and similar companies.

BC

We use Avery labels and they are OK to use. please go to http://www.geocities.com/dmpollock/ and read under note : Click here for FDA reply.

Alternatively you can go to AABB forum and it's under post: Bar Code Labeling Rule for Split and Pooled Blood Products----Total 56 messages, long discussion about barcode ruling and adhesive etc. I will try to copy the link below:

http://www.aabb.org/instantforum34/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=4&MessageID=1029&TopicPage=1

We have used adhesive labels for years. I remember testing and validating a bunch of label stock for the purpose from our vendor and we did find one that stuck well enough to use in the refrigerator and was still removable. It just took a bit of effort to find. Our labels are printed by Uarco.