REMOTE STORAGE REFRIGERATORS

ESIZENSKY

The ED trauma room currently has Hemonetics blood Track Manger. Staff compliance to scan blood product is 80%. We are currently moving to a new LIS (EPIC) and SOFT. Due to compliance and financial we are considering removing the hemonectics and only

have a storage refrigerator. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to manage blood storage in a regular refrigerator? Can you connect BB software without a third party? 

I'm not being critical, but I don't think I understand the rationale.  You have poor compliance now with a fridge designed to provide compliance, but of course, a clever person can always find a workaround.  You are proposing to replace it with a regular fridge that will offer close to zero protection for the units.

I understand the maintenance costs for the Hemonetics are likely high. Are you being forced to remove it?

Agreed, sounds like you're moving to a less secure option for whatever reasons, so in that case I say go low tech and put a physical lock on the fridge door. Helmer sells fridges that have built in electronic access control, but you can also drill right through the handle bit and get a combo lock put on it. No access unless they call BB for the combo..... there are definitely ways to secure this low cost, I've got experience with both of these options and they work just fine after the surgeons stop complaining about it. :D 

We have Soft and Epic - they don't "talk" to Hemonetics - at least ours doesn't.......  (we have Hemonetics remote fridges / Blood Track for 3 different locations.)

We don't have the best compliance - but I feel its much better than 80%!!  :unsure:  We resolve every and all notifications from the Blood Track software in our lab.......there is education that we provide for all nursing that they have to complete annually.  If / when we encounter non-compliance it is reported as an occurrence (RL-6) noting the location as the ED / location where the noncompliance happened.  The whole system started off a little rocky, but, it's gotten a lot better!  The locations REALLY want their blood to stay so they've shaped up.  (not to mention its a pretty good hike from all our fridge locations to the BB proper) One of our 1st shift staff members physically goes to each location daily to restock, remove short dates and gather returned units.  It's a lot, but way worth it in the long run!

We have Soft and Epic and they don't manage our remote refrigerators in ER, OR, and ambulatory infusion center. My predecessor had electronic magnetic locks installed on these refrigerator doors controlled by a button located physically in the Blood Bank.  There are phones located above/near each refrigerator and the Blood Bank is autodialed when the phone earpiece is lifted.  They give us patient information and we press the button to open the door; unit information is verified and records are maintained in Soft. (Emergency released units have attached paperwork to complete and return to Blood Bank as well)

I would love to have Haemonetics dispensing refrigerators!

On 11/20/2023 at 10:39 AM, applejw said:

We have Soft and Epic and they don't manage our remote refrigerators in ER, OR, and ambulatory infusion center. My predecessor had electronic magnetic locks installed on these refrigerator doors controlled by a button located physically in the Blood Bank.  There are phones located above/near each refrigerator and the Blood Bank is autodialed when the phone earpiece is lifted.  They give us patient information and we press the button to open the door; unit information is verified and records are maintained in Soft. (Emergency released units have attached paperwork to complete and return to Blood Bank as well)

I would love to have Haemonetics dispensing refrigerators!

The nurses who are granted access are "programmed" into the blood track software with their hospital employee # and we make them a barcode for their badge.  they scan their badge and the kiosk asks if they want blood for Emergency use, if so, the door unlocks and they remove a unit which they then scan.  opening the door alone triggers a notification in the BB so we know when they've been in it......if they remove blood properly, it tells us that too.....

we always follow up with the ED when the "door is opened" and there is no evidence of blood removal.