Jump to content
PathLabTalk

Lui Freeze Elution


kjaggers1
 Share

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, kjaggers1 said:

Why is bovine albumin used as a potientior in a lui freeze elution. Most procedures I have read does not require it. Thanks

Do you mean used to MAKE the eluate or it being added to the test system ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, kjaggers1 said:

Why is bovine albumin used as a potientior in a lui freeze elution. Most procedures I have read does not require it. Thanks

It has been eons since I did one of these, but I don't remember using albumin.  I looked at a couple of procedures online, and it was not listed as a reagent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've got an OLD OLD procedure that adds 3 drops of 30% albumin to 0.5 mL packed red cells prior to freezing. The reference is the 10th edition of the Technical Manual.

The procedure is so old and so bare bones that there isn't any other information included - just the step by step. Looks really odd compared to current procedures.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, AMcCord said:

I've got an OLD OLD procedure that adds 3 drops of 30% albumin to 0.5 mL packed red cells prior to freezing. The reference is the 10th edition of the Technical Manual.

The procedure is so old and so bare bones that there isn't any other information included - just the step by step. Looks really odd compared to current procedures.

All the albumin that I buy is 22% not 30%. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MAGNUM said:

All the albumin that I buy is 22% not 30%. 

30% albumin hasn't been available for years - I think we saw it last in the early 90s.

I don't think I've ever used the Lui Freeze Thaw on a patient. I keep a copy of the ancient procedure around for students.

 

Edited by AMcCord
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, AMcCord said:

30% albumin hasn't been available for years - I think we saw it last in the early 90s.

I don't think I've ever used the Lui Freeze Thaw on a patient. I keep a copy of the ancient procedure around for students.

 

The Lui Freeze Thaw method is good for demonstrating anti-A, anti-B, and anti-A,B from small samples.  We used it to confirm that an infant had ABO HDN.  I'm not sure if we still have a procedure for it.  I work primarily with the Blood Bank Computer system now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Baby Banker said:

The Lui Freeze Thaw method is good for demonstrating anti-A, anti-B, and anti-A,B from small samples.  We used it to confirm that an infant had ABO HDN.  I'm not sure if we still have a procedure for it.  I work primarily with the Blood Bank Computer system now.

We don't do elutions to confirm ABO HDN, which is why I don't think I've ever used the Lui for a patient test. If Mom is type O with a negative antibody screen and baby is A or B with positive DAT, it's presumptive for ABO HDN. If there was evidence indicating that something else was going on (significant anemia, elevated bili that seems atypical for ABO HDN, etc.) we would investigate further. It is possible to use Elu-Kit II on a small sample, though we usually have cord blood to work with, so that is the method we would use for that extended investigation to make sure that we aren't dealing with a non-ABO antibody.

My students have mixed success with the Lui, but we do it anyway. Hands on with methods like that seems to really help them understand the written material they are given.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I somewhat remember that early on with the LUI freeze elution there were some attempts to elute non-ABO antibody specificities.  At that time some suggested an additional source of protein and/or a minimal "LISS" environment might help with detecting these other antibody specificities.  I'm not sure it worked out too well and other elution methods were much better.   We just used for ABO elutes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2020 at 6:54 AM, Baby Banker said:

The Lui Freeze Thaw method is good for demonstrating anti-A, anti-B, and anti-A,B from small samples.  We used it to confirm that an infant had ABO HDN.  I'm not sure if we still have a procedure for it.  I work primarily with the Blood Bank Computer system now.

I checked and we do not have a procedure for the LUI Freeze-Thaw technique any longer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Advertisement

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.