Questions about a potential A subgroup

AmyL86

Hi, think this is my first post here. My name is Amy, just to share a tidbit with everyone.. 

I had a patient today that typed as such:

Forward type:

Anti-A = 2+

Anti-B = 4+

Anti-D = 4+

Reverse type:

Acell = 0

Bcell = 0

Anti-A1 = 0

87 y/o male, oncology patient. 

I was reviewing reports for the BB Supervisor, when I saw the weak Anti-A in forward, I investigated and got the aforementioned results.

The overnight tech released A+ blood on this patient, but no symptoms of transfusion reaction.

I notified my pathologist and switched the patient to O+ in light of the absence of A1 antigens.

my question:

I am surprised to see that the A cell in the reverse type is coming up negative. In my texbook, type discrepancies such as this are accompanied by the presence of anti-A1 in the patient's plasma. Here, I don't have a demostrable Anti-A1 and I am wondering if the antibody is naturally occuring, and in what frequency?

Dear Amy

There are two possibilities here. 

1.  This patient is an A2B (or a weaker subgroup of A - maybe an A3) without an anti-A1.  Not all patients with weak A subgroups have an anti-A1.  About 20% of A2B individuals would be expected to have an anti-A1 - that still leaves the majority without.  The anti-A1 is naturally occurring.

2a.  If the patient has a 'haematological' cancer, it is well-known that the ABO antigens can be affected: They often return to full strength when the patient is in remission

2b.  If the patient has a stomach or bowel cancer, he may be producing excess soluble A substance which may be blocking the reaction between the A antigen and the anti-A.

As this patient is a group AB you should not really be giving group O.  If you don't like the idea of transfusing AB then group B would be the group of choice - but I don't see any problem with issuing AB for this patient.

• 2 months later...

Hi John, I would agree that given the patient's age the A1 antigen may very well be weaken however if we are seeing Anti-A reaction at 2+ shouldn't we expect some reactivity with Anti-A1 lectin if the patient indeed has an A1 antigen? I am not sure which test if either is more sensitive, or if sensitivity is even an issue.

I missed the results of the Anti-A1 lectin testing. I guess I didn't recognize it as such with out the "lectin" specification, but I should have. You are correct, I would expect it to be positive if the patient was an A1, at least as positive as the original A1 testing. So now I'm more ready to jump on the A2B bandwagon. Move over. :ohmygod: