QC for blood bank analysers

NAN47

Hi all,

I was just looking for people's thoughts on the use of an AB negative, antibody screen negative QC material for controlling blood bank automation. Apparently this was a recent UKAS finding that this wasn't been used. We currently use BIORAD basic QC 1 (A Neg - Anti-D ) and QC2 (B pos Anti -Fy(a) ) . Does anyone use an AB Neg/ negative QC routinely, and was looking on thoughts on why this is required over and above the two we already use? PS wasn't our UKAS inspection, but we have one pending!

many thanks

• 1 month later...

I believe that Ortho's MTS gel requires negative controls for the reverse and screen.  I guess your A neg and B pos covers the reverse if they come with corresponding sera.  They let us use 6% albumin or a negative patient sample.  Their QC kit has only one antisera vial which contains both anti-A and anti-B, plus anti-D and anti-c (I think), so it does not have the negative reverse typing nor the negative screen controls built in.  Their screen cells have a tendency to develop false positives so I can see why they require a negative control.  I don't know of such problems with their reverse cells but I don't use them at this time.  Our smaller hospitals do gel blood types and would not have a reliable supply of AB plasma for their negative control of the reverse type so they use 6% albumin.  it never seemed to me like it was as good a control as human plasma but it meets the requirements.

We use Alba QChek controls for ProVue.

Alba Q-Chek Simulated Whole Blood Controls comprises of a set of 4 x 6mL whole blood samples. Sample A is a pool of Group A Rh Negative (rr) and contains anti-B and anti-D. Sample B is a pool of Group 0 Rh Positive (RIR1) and contains anti-A, anti-B and anti-c. Sample C is a pool of Group B Rh Positive (Rlr) and contains anti-A. Sample D is a pool of Group A2B Rh Positive and contains no other antibodies.

We use all 4 samples to perform Daily QC  on the A/B/D Monoclonal and Reverse Grouping card, Anti-IgG Gel card, Buffered Gel card and the A/B/D Monoclonal Grouping card on ProVue.

I'm fairly sure the ISO std talks about controls covering all biological intervals.  I haven't got them to hand so cannot find the quote.   We have not been inspected yet but use the Biorad QC too.  I there is an Alba QC kit which would cover everything that I'm thinking of trying.  Just need to write the validation, change the SOP's.......