Routine testing of cord blood at delivery

NICKJM

Trying to cut to the chase and canvas the forum for the current AABB recommendation regarding routine cord blood testing (ABO/Rh and DAT) at delivery.  At my current facility I am getting all cord bloods.  My approach is propose routine testing only on group O and Rh-negative mothers.   Need feedback.  Thanks.

Edited by NICKJM

We do cord w/u on group O and Rh Neg mother's.  Also, if a baby's bili starts to rise they might order a w/u from a mother that doesn't fit the paradigm.  I've seen a +DAT due to private ag from the father.  Made a good paper (mid-1980s).

Transfusion

Volume 24, Issue 1, pages 19–21, January-February 1984

Edited by David Saikin

4 minutes ago, David Saikin said:

We do cord w/u on group O and Rh Neg mother's.  Also, if a baby's bili starts to rise they might order a w/u from a mother that doesn't fit the paradigm.  I've seen a +DAT due to private ag from the father.  Made a good paper (mid-1980s).

Ooh, Interesting.   I'll have to find that.  Occasionally, the nurses call down and ask that I complete the DAT after we have to determined it to not  be necessary.  I don't fight them on it but I usually roll my eyes :rolleyes:.   I guess I'll have to stop that.  haha