BB lead technologist

chill

How do you validate your temperature indicators?  Initially, I was thinking a probe inserted into an expired or mock blood unit would be necessary, but now have read in the discussion about validating coolers about an infrared thermometer to check the unit temperature.  The sticking point seems to be internal temperature.  How do you know your indicators (Safe-T-Vue, etc.) are accurate?  What does everyone else do for this?

I use a transfer pack that has 300 mL of 10% glycerol and a validated thermometer in it.  It lives in my refrigerator.  When I validate a new lot of HemoTemp IIs I attach one to the bag and let it sit on the counter and record the temperature of the thermometer as the internal temp, as indicated by the HT II, changes.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, chill said:

Thanks so much!   It sounds great, but do you pass the thermometer through the port?  It doesn't look do-able.  Just one of those technical snags!

that's why God made glycerin.  It helps the thermometer go through the port.  Be gentle.  I had to twist it while pushing.