Cord Blood Testing on the ProVue

aj2018

Im thinking about adding cord blood testing to our Provue.

We already do ABO/RH QC but to add Cord blood testing, I need to work on adding a QC for the DAT.

I know I can use any patient sample as my DAT NEG QC sample, but what about DAT POS QC??

I was wondering if anyone can share what they do for DAT positive QC...someone told me I can use an Rh positive patient sample and add anti-D to it, but not sure about how much Anti-D to add etc...

thank you

We take two segments and add two drops of anti-D.

We validated it before, tried different combination and this one was determined to be the best. 

So we validated that positive control made this was, the control gave acceptable results up to ten days.

But to be conservative and we wanted to make it easy for the staff so we use it for a week.

Make new one every Monday.

We also use check cells as our Positive QC for gel. We do not have Provue.

Just wondering, wouldn't the daily QC of your ab screening cells provide the same data, i.e., your IgG gel cards can detect sensitized cells.  Seems like a duplication of effort/resources . . .

Provue requires concentrated red cells for sampling, e.g., a centrifuged whole blood sample (real or simulated).  CAP supplies vials with 3% red cells for the DAT survey.  We transfer 2mL to a 12x75 tube, centrifuge it for 15 seconds and then run it (without re-mixing) successfully on ProVue.

Edited by Dansket

Just wondering, wouldn't the daily QC of your ab screening cells provide the same data, i.e., your IgG gel cards can detect sensitized cells.  Seems like a duplication of effort/resources . . .

If you're not doing something that QCs the MTS Diluent 2 already and you add Cord Bloods to the ProVue, you need to do a pos/neg control for DAT.

When the ProVue makes the suspension for blood types it uses MTS Diluent 2+ and for DATs/crossmatches/etc it uses MTS Diluent 2.

When we still ran these on our ProVue we did the same thing that Dansket does - Added anti-D to AlbaQ vial #4.

Edited by goodchild