Humidity Ranges in the Laboratory

jdelk66

Does anyone record the humidity levels in their laboratory.  We recently were tasks to start recording the levels and I am looking for any regulations that state where we should fall.  The gauge indicates 30- 80% as the "comfort level.  Of course as it gets colder outside our humidity is dropping.  Today it is 12% in the lab.

I need guidance.  Is this a Joint Commission, CAP,or  Dept of Health (PA) requirement.

If you have testing instruments and/or computer equipment that specify in their manufacturer's directions that they are operatable within certain temperature and/or humidity levels, you must document that your environment is within those acceptable ranges.

I think we were cited for that a few years ago during a CAP inspection. So we purchased little gizmos that sit near our testing instrument and display the temperaature and humidity, and we record those readings once a day on a QC log.

Donna

Check your specs for each piece of equipment in your Lab. It's 10-90% for our analyzer, the Tango, but in Chemistry they have to have it above 30% for some of their analyzers.

We monitor it using our temperature monitoring system (TempSys). We have a combo room temp/humidity sensor that gives us continuous readings for both.