Ortho panel lot VRA178 weak E+ cell 3

Mabel Adams

I just reported to Ortho that I suspect that the homozygous E cell on this panel is weaker/different than usual. We had one patient that the screen was pos but this gel panel was neg. When we did panel B, it was a clear anti-E, although weak. We reapeated the E+ cells on panel A and found that cell 6 (heterozygous) is weakly pos but cell 3 (homozygous) is neg. Another patient with a stronger anti-E has reacted 3+ with cell 3 and 2+ with cell 6 several times on the previous lot and a few days later reacted 2+ with cell 3 and 3+ with cell 6 on this new lot (zygosity of cells same on both panels). We have tested another sample of hers also on this lot with the same results.

I want to put this out there in case anyone else might miss a weak anti-E due to this cell being suboptimal as well as see if anyone else is having this problem.

everyone with the same problem should report to Ortho. As far as I know they will only investigate the problem if they get specific number of calls.

You are right, I was basically told by them last week when I called about the Mi(a+) screening cell that they don't do anything unless they get a lot of calls.:confused:

They actually asked me to mail them samples that were reacting this way with this cell so we sent them today. It could be that we just happened to have two patients that are a poor fit for this antigen at the same time. If no one else has the problem, it is probably our fluke more than a bad cell. They did have me antigen type the cell for E and it came out 3+ just like another double dose E cell that reacted with these patients as expected. I have seen lots of weak anti-E not react with the single dose E cell on the gel panel, but I had not before seen one that reacted with that cell but not the double dose cell.