electronic crossmatch interp

Jives

i was wondering if anyone knows if there is a "rule" as to how you interp an electronic crossmatch....must you call it "presumed compatible" or is it "compatible" :confused:

thanks

can't find anything in the AABB or FDA guidelines:)

I should start by saying I don't know, but, as there is no such thing as an "electronic crossmatch" (as no physical crossmatch takes place), but there is such a thing as electronic issue, should the units not be issued as "suitable", on the grounds that no atypical alloantibodies were detected in the patient's plasma, and the ABO type is compatible, but there is still the extremely small chance that there may be something like an anti-Wra lurking there, and one of the units could be Wr(a+)?

This is no reason not to employ electronic issue (see Garratty on the subject) as the risk is so small, but the risk is, nevertheless, there.

I should start by saying I don't know, but, as there is no such thing as an "electronic crossmatch" (as no physical crossmatch takes place), but there is such a thing as electronic issue, should the units not be issued as "suitable", on the grounds that no atypical alloantibodies were detected in the patient's plasma, and the ABO type is compatible, but there is still the extremely small chance that there may be something like an anti-Wra lurking there, and one of the units could be Wr(a+)?

This is no reason not to employ electronic issue (see Garratty on the subject) as the risk is so small, but the risk is, nevertheless, there.

Just to follow this logic, even if an immediate-spin crossmatch was performed wouldn't most examples of anti-Wra be negative against Wr(a+) units since it is predominately detected by antiglobulin test?